Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

gallons of water in my HHR

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Thumbs down gallons of water in my HHR

My wife, son and I cannot believe the sight we saw this morning when trying to get ourselves to church. Upon getting into our 2007 HHR LT, we saw gallons of water, inside the vehicle, saturating the drivers' side carpet. Interestingly, the passengers' side is bone dry.

I bought the car a few months ago, certified used vehicle. CarFax report was clean...no collisions. I've had not one problem with this car (other than the headliner recall...and that's not really trouble) since purchase. However, this has me taken aback.

Granted, it rained like mad here last night (remnants of that tropical storm), but the car was parked in its usual spot in our complex parking lot, and my wife's car, parked right next to it, did not have the same problem (she has a '99 Camry).

Here's a few pix of the damage:

There was an amazing amount of water underneath the carpet, as you can hopefully see. I'm now concerned for mildew/mold issues, as well as malfunction issues with any systems wired beneath the carpets. I did vacuum up as much water as I could, but an hour or two later, and it's still soaked.

I really need some help and advice from the community. I cannot believe a car parked overnight in a rainstorm (no matter how hard it rained) would leak this bad. Do I have any shot (at 41K) of having GM own up to this, replace my carpet and make sure there's no issues with wiring, etc.? I'm really floored here.

HELP!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 PM

This might help out

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/fixed-my-water-leak-last-night-14263/
Old 09-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

Butyl patch. Someone probably tore it open when they replaced the windshield prior to you purchasing the car. Read the above linked thread for more info. Probably the worst designed part on the car.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:12 PM

Would this anomaly arise in the car wash? I've run through a car wash now and again, and never had this problem. Incidentally, we've had some heavy t-storms this summer, and this problem hasn't arisen. Today was the first I've known of a leak.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:38 PM

The patch mentioned above usally results in water on the passenger side, If you have a sunroof check that the drain tubes are open and they direct the flow away from the compartment. This was found on a HHR A while back.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Got in mine the other day and found water on the passenger side. Vacuumed it up, but how did it get there? Now I think I need to do the fix in the link?! Only happened once so far, but I definately don't want it again.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 PM

I had the same problem Doug. Took it to the dealer and they "resealed a wiring boot" under warranty. It hasn't leaked since. It's probably an easy fix but I wasn't exactly sure where it was coming from. I thought it might be the butyl patch, since mine didn't have one at all, but I guess that wasn't the case.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM

I have had the same problem last two heavy rains. first time I thought that I had left the door cracked, last storm I made sure the doors were shut good.

I had my right front strut replaced at the dealer. Could this have anything to do with the water?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 PM

Probably a clogged sunroof drain, if the car has a sunroof.

First time I've seen that Butyl patch thread. crafty is right, that looks very poorly engineered. I can't believe Chevy would rely on a large flap like that to seal for the long term. Oh wait, yes I can.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I can't believe Chevy would rely on a large flap like that to seal for the long term. Oh wait, yes I can.
+1

You guys who have had this problem have great patience....more than I would ever have. A car that leaks like a sieve? Are you kidding me?? Buh bye Little normal domestic car shortcomings you can somewhat tolerate because well..... but something like that....jeeesssh

Goose

Quick Reply: gallons of water in my HHR