General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

second key

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:08 PM

second key

I need your help my friends, in my country I can not get the second key with problems in electronic code.There could be a possibility only with your help and i try to explane; there is a friend of mine who works as a hostess in Alitalia and she will be in Chicago next Monday and Tuesday, I know that is absurd as required but if any of you, of course Chicago, could get the key to his hotel by paying cash. Tell me what I have to give information on the car up to the dealer then they will have to program the key....if this can not possible Monday or Tuesday she will be back in the Usa shortly and we'll organize better
thanks you very much
Old 07-11-2009, 08:02 PM

You(she) should be able to go to any GM/Chevy dealer in the USA and pick up a key blank for your 2006 HHR. The programming is easily done when you get the key blank cut to match your existing key in your country.

Or you can search for Key vendors and order one on line and ship directly to you. I believe I ordered mine from: http://www.autotransponder.com/gm_tr...ey_aftermarket

I would recommend you procure more than one extra key.

For programming instructions search this site when you have procured the key and it cut to match your existing key. The dealer does not have to program the key, unless there have already been ten keys programmed to the vehicle.

Last edited by Sno White; 07-11-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: corrected link, spelling
Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Another place to get one is Amazon. Dealer programs it.

http://www.amazon.com/CHEVROLET-2006...7363634&sr=8-4
Old 07-11-2009, 11:10 PM

Just the key, or is it the remote you need?
Programming the additional key is easy. It was a while ago, but I think this is how:
1. start the car with the original key, then turn it off.
2. within 10 seconds, insert the new key and start.

If anyone else can verify that?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Dealer programs it.
NOT at all necessary to go to the DEALER.

Straight from the 2009 Factory Service Manual:

1. With a previously learned master key, turn on the ignition, with the engine off.
2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
3. Within 10 seconds of turning off the ignition, insert the key to be learned and turn ON the ignition. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

Unquote

My notes:
A MASTER key is any key that already operates the vehicle.
All the above assumes the car in Italy is built to USA standards, if not all bets are off.

This is so simple even a CAVE man can do it. Why go to a dealer? I guess because that is what the Owners Manual says to do.

Up to 10 keys can be programmed into the BCM to operate the vehicle, while up to ONLY four Remote FOBs can be programmed.

The FOBs do have to be programmed at the Dealer or a well-equipped Locksmith may be able to handle it. If you are adding a FOB, gather up all your FOBs and take them to the person programming the vehicle. If the programmer makes a mistake or if four or more have ever been programmed to the vehicle, they may need them ALL present.

Last edited by Sno White; 07-12-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 AM

A special thanks for helping to solve the problem...and finally I've got a second key; and I followed your instructions for the program.... Perfect!!!!