SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Coolant Recovery tank looks empty!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Talking latest update & conclusion!!!

after have been using the SS during the time off, I have found that the cooling system in my vehicle seems to be operating properly. the blue tape line that I use on the recovery tank indicates that the fluid moves up just about 1 1/2 " higher after the engine is used and hot, it then moves down to the tape line when the engine is cold. it has done this number of times since I dicovered that the tank was empty. the most important fact is that I do not smell any coolant at all, either inside the cab or in the engine compartment as I previously had noted. I still believe that the cap was not entirely tight or squared to the neck correctly, and that the recovery tank may have been low for some time.
all in all, I am happy that it appears to be working as it should, last night is was 18 degrees here and if I were to have a problem, I am sure it would have surfaced then...
again, make sure you check your tank and also check that your cap is on properly, hope this will help those who may think they have a problem, but it may not be what they think at all......
Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Smile

ok chevymanager just where are the hot and cold fill lines on the coolant recovery tank manual says there is a line but all i see are two coolant symbols where do fill it to?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 PM

do I learn something new every day or what!!!

well used the SS to go out to dinner Sat night with the Mrs., had a great time, although very cold out. Got home in the garage, smelled the antifreeze at the front of the car, mmmmmm the smell again
checked the level today and everything is fine, but the discovery I made tonight, or that I think that I madeis that I had the recovery tank cap off and so happen that I had the shop light on the side of the tank, and I noticed that I could see the light through the cap, there is a small "pinhole" in the center of the recovery tank cap, never noticed that before. That could explain why I smell the coolant towards the front of the engine. It must release vapors when it gets hot through the top of the cap. Everything else is dry, and the coolant level is doing what it should since I filled the tank a few weeks ago.
I just had to pass on this info before going to sleep
have a good week everyone.......

BTW, started to work on the 74 this weekend, up on stands now, and the disassembly begins.......should be fun!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:40 PM

I too am curious about my coolant. It has been freezing here lately and the car is taking 15mins to warm up. The coolant level is in the bottom third of the tank when the engine is cold, but due to the way it is mounted, I can't see the lines to add or top up?

Any assistance would be great.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:43 AM

I don't have an SS and I don't know if the tanks are the same in the 2LT but I too can't see the line nor the fluid it's so far down in that black hole so I filled it to where the tank gets real skinny. It's kind of shaped like an hour glass.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Founding Member

The cold fill line is a bulge that sticks out from the tank. It is a about 3/4 of the way down the tank. If you put your hand down there (NOT WHILE IT'S HOT) you can feel the area that bulges out. It faces the rear of the vehicle.

This is a poor picture of the resevoir that I took out of the parts department, but it's all I have. You may be able to make out the Arrow pointing at the fill line.

Name:  resevoir.jpg
Views: 5324
Size:  14.7 KB

PS: look out dungeon here it comes.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
the recovery tank cap,...... there is a small "pinhole" in the center of the recovery tank cap.........

BTW, started to work on the 74 this weekend, up on stands now, and the disassembly begins.......should be fun!!!
I would almost believe that the pin hole is for the pressure/contraction action, else wise the bottle would puff out and collapse in.

Make us proud and do her right!!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by stranger
I would almost believe that the pin hole is for the pressure/contraction action, else wise the bottle would puff out and collapse in.

Make us proud and do her right!!!!!
I would tend to agree with you, even though I am not an engineer by any means...just going on pure logic, about the vapors coming out of the "pinhole" and thus producing the smell of coolant. If my level did not hold for the last few weeks, I would say that there is a definate leak somewhere.
Also, took off the radiator cap (actually the top hose cap) and the coolant is still at the top where I filled it before. So I have accepted living with that coolant smell from the front of the engine on occassion. There is no coolant smell inside the cabin....
Old 01-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Well, I thought I'd give an update on my possible leak...

I took mine back in last week to check for leaks. They had put in the dye in the coolant on previous visit, but found nothing. It had gone down only a 1/2" if that since I was in last. Of course I hadn't been driving it too much either... i'll just keep an eye on it to see if it re-appears once I put more miles on.

I just wanted to make sure it was addressed at least before my 3yr/36mi warranty is up. Had them replace the drivers window switch also as it had been acting up. Checked the A/C drain as I was always having that rotten smell after use. They said it was partially blocked.

Hey good luck on the restoration or whatever work you are doing on the 74Vette,SSroadster! I wish it was warm enough to work on my Firebird here. I need to insulate my garage and put in a wood-burner I think!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scrivs
I too am curious about my coolant. It has been freezing here lately and the car is taking 15mins to warm up. The coolant level is in the bottom third of the tank when the engine is cold, but due to the way it is mounted, I can't see the lines to add or top up?

Any assistance would be great.
Originally Posted by Freightliner
I don't have an SS and I don't know if the tanks are the same in the 2LT but I too can't see the line nor the fluid it's so far down in that black hole so I filled it to where the tank gets real skinny. It's kind of shaped like an hour glass.
I will taks a pic of the recovery tank on mine and where I placed the blue tape on the tank to act as a reference line. It works great as stated before, when the engine cools it is right at the line, when it is hot, the level rises about 2" if that, so I know the system is working properly.
it is also much easier to ease a shop light or good flashlight in the engine compartment along side of the recovery tank to actually see where your coolant level is, without the proper light, you are just guessing......

Originally Posted by CarlsSS

Hey good luck on the restoration or whatever work you are doing on the 74Vette,SSroadster! I wish it was warm enough to work on my Firebird here. I need to insulate my garage and put in a wood-burner I think!
thanks Carl, it is at a friends (also co-worker) garage, has more than enough room to do anything that is necessary. His garage if totally emptied would fit at least 6 vehicles. He has what is needed to do what I have to do. The Strongman mobile lift that he has is great for lifting the Vette in the air.
Right now the wheels are off and up on stands. Just taking my time, and sicne his garage is more than an hour away, its not like I can go over there all of the time, so whenever I get there is just fine.
would like to know more about your Firebird and what plans you have for it

I am hijacking my own thread, what am I thinking

Quick Reply: Coolant Recovery tank looks empty!!!