Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by TxSkyPilot
I just came from the dealer. Bad news. When they went through this process they heard distressing engine noises and shut it down. He told me they were going to go through the engine for further inspection.
Although what has happened to your HHR is very unfortunate it is a malfunction of something man made failing to do it's part (the thermostat), anything man made is subject to failure. It's very possible that it could have caused other damages as well and I'm sure if whatever else it may have caused, if reparable, will be. Your dealer hasn't any incentive to just patch it up and return it back to you only to have you return it later because the engine failed. This would be double the work on their part and since it's a warranty issue they would be better off repairing it right the first time, even if it means a new engine. If the current engine is repairable I would suggest you let them repair it and go on your merry way. Since you already have the original problem on record you'll be covered down the road if their repair dosen't hold up. You can demand a new engine but they don't have to honor your demand if they can adequately repair the exhisting one. As far as the lemon law goes, you can't use it unless the car has been to the dealership at least three times for the same problem and they haven't been able to repair it.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:37 AM

Its documented about the thermostat..
Make another recommendation to GM customer support.. to futher document it..
Then in the future things happen... there responsible for it...
Old 06-10-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ng8650
Forget the Equinox and get her a Dodge CHARGER!!!!

Ng

That would be nice, but then the kids have to be stuck in the trunk.
She wants to get rid of her minvan and the Equinox seems to have enough room not priced out of are budget

TxSkyPilot Thanks for the review
Old 06-12-2006, 03:53 PM

I'm getting mixed messages from the dealer. One guy told me over the phone they were getting in the parts from Detoit to "rebuild" my engine. I said, "I have 300 miles on this car. It had a defective part that caused engine damage. I don't want a rebuilt engine in my new car. I want a new engine in my new car."

I then called my salesman. He's working hard to make this right. I asked him if I had any choice in how my car is repaired and he said of course I do. I told him that my preference is to have a new engine installed. He said that was definitely doable and that there was a GM rep at the dealer today and that he would go and talk to him right away.

I miss my HHR!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:26 PM

Force them to replace the engine. When things go "clunk" in an engine, bad things have happened. Let GM send yours to their Mr. Goodwrench mechanic school and let the students rebuild it for themselves.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:46 PM

One guy told me over the phone they were getting in the parts from Detoit to "rebuild" my engine. I said, "I have 300 miles on this car. It had a defective part that caused engine damage. I don't want a rebuilt engine in my new car. I want a new engine in my new car."

I miss my HHR!
Man, I feel for u, but I hope they don't have an out in the warranty language - you know "we can repair or replace at our discretion". Yea I sure don't want a rebuilt engine in my new car! Keep fighting!

Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by MikeX
Man, I feel for u, but I hope they don't have an out in the warranty language - you know "we can repair or replace at our discretion". Yea I sure don't want a rebuilt engine in my new car! Keep fighting!
They probably do have that out but in the spirit of satisfying a long-term customer, I hope they don't resort to using it.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:25 PM

Tell them to put in the Cobalt Supercharged engine, and you'll call it even.......
Old 06-12-2006, 06:41 PM

They probably do have that out but in the spirit of satisfying a long-term customer, I hope they don't resort to using it.
I think if you have a real good relationship with your dealer they'll bend over backwards to satisfy you. Good luck!!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM

I called back today and talked to the assistant service manager. He said GM had agreed to replace my engine with a new one and they would have one overnighted and hopefully installed by the weekend.

Hey guys, this has been such a distressing situation. Thanks for being supportive and letting me rant a bit.

Quick Reply: Overheating