Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Steering Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 PM

Power Steering Error Code

As I stated in this thread.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...77&postcount=1

It started after I changed my sway bar end links. But most were of the opinion that it shouldn't have caused that.

I have a moog with a grease fitting on the driver side and one of the OEM's on the passenger side(it was still in good condition). I have noticed the clunking sound has gotten worse lately(it was hit or miss after installing the moog), but its bad again, happening just driving down a seemingly flat road.

With this is the Power Steering pop-up on the DIC. Last week it happened once every other day. Turn the car off, turn it back on and all was well.

For the last two days its happening 4-5 times while driving. I am having to pull over and turn it off and back on, then 5 miles down the road its doing it again.

I can't even take a 4 mile trip to the store without it happening. Its doing it every single time I get in the car.

So if the end links didn't affect it, and it doesn't have fluid or a pump that can go bad....what else can I do to help troubleshoot this? How is the Power Steering determined....meaning is there a sensor or something that attaches to the driver side wheel maybe? Since it didn't start until I changed that one.

I remember a bar at the top, that I don't remember seeing on the passenger side, but maybe I am just imagining things.

I did a search and didn't see anything to people just having a power steering issue( I saw a few threads about multiple errors codes and engine issues, but this is the only code that I am getting)

So any ideas?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:33 AM
Founding Member

A starting point would be to know the code being set. Most likely you need a new P.S. motor and it is not related to your other work. Have you checked the fuse under the hood yet?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
A starting point would be to know the code being set. Most likely you need a new P.S. motor and it is not related to your other work. Have you checked the fuse under the hood yet?

I forgot there was an actual code that is being tripped. I will head by the auto parts store and get them to pull the code. It won't be a problem because I am sure between here and there it will happen again :)

I will see if I can find the fuse number and check it out as well.

P.S if it is the motor is that covered under the 5/year 100K powertrain?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Well I went by Auto Zone while the Power Steering message was on the DIC but his scanner said there were no codes.

I checked under the hood real quick and didn't see a fuse number for the power steering. Any one know which one I should check?

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Founding Member

Fuse #1, 60 amp.

Most common cause of it blowing is improper jump starting.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 PM

Fuse #1, 60 amp.

Most common cause of it blowing is improper jump starting.

Well there hasn't been any of that, that is for sure :)

I will check it, but a 60amp fuse being blown for no good reason is unlikely.

It came on two more times on the way home from lunch.

Funny thing is it never seems to come on going over bumps, or thank god, around any curves. Its always going down the road or sometimes at a complete stop. It also comes on as we are leaving our neighborhood, but not on the turn out, it doesn't happen until we straighten up and start to go up the hill.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Well not sure if its suppose to pop out or not, but I couldn't get the thing out. I didn't want to try to no hard naturally, but the copper looking connector is intact and doesn't look frayed and there is no black inside the clear housing. Everything looks okay.

Next on the list? :)
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Founding Member

Well if it comes and goes the fuse wouldn't be the problem. Sorry about that wild goose chase.

Your code reader must not know how to check the PSCM. He probably only checks codes in ECMs or his reader may not be able to. I would take it to someone that can pull codes correctly or you can take a shot in the dark and replace the power steering motor. The motor is most likely what is failing, but without codes I can't help you on the internet.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Well if it comes and goes the fuse wouldn't be the problem. Sorry about that wild goose chase.

Your code reader must not know how to check the PSCM. He probably only checks codes in ECMs or his reader may not be able to. I would take it to someone that can pull codes correctly or you can take a shot in the dark and replace the power steering motor. The motor is most likely what is failing, but without codes I can't help you on the internet.
Okay..thanks...and if it is the motor, i.e. we get a code that indicates so, is it then covered under the 5year/100k powertrain?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Stryker
is it then covered under the 5year/100k powertrain?
Sorry steering is not covered by powertrain.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Error Code