2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

*NEW* ZZP Intake Tube for the HHR SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 PM

*NEW* ZZP Intake Tube for the HHR SS

Got ahold of ZZP about a new upgraded LNF Intake Tube for the HHR SS. They actually fabbed one up for Joe Schulte awhile ago...but it hasn't been produced yet.

Here is the email Matt from ZZP sent me:

"We have the fixtures completed, and most of the parts are here. We are just waiting on treated tubing right now so that we can make the bends. It is looking like probably 3-4 weeks before we can ship these."

Here is the intake tube that ZZP "fabbed up" for Joe's awesome SS:

Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Another fan of sucking hot air in the engine compartment. Hope you know that you're gonna be sucking really hot air from the engine compartment, and you will actually lose H.P.
The HHR-SS get really hot under hood, as if you had'nt noticed. I've checked it out, so it's not just a guess.
Looks pretty, but does'nt help, and actually hurts preformance. Do a before and after check and see if I'm telling you right. "Moon"
Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 PM

I already have this exact set-up (minus the upgraded intake tube)....had to have a tune for it as well. Joe is hitting 308 h.p. with this set up...so...I can't really complain
Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

what if it was cold air sucking ? Someone with them fancy gauges should know, where is Alex ?

Seems to me the intercooler has enough work to do sucking cold air. Otherwise the one I replaced the stock one with, would have been half the size, instead of twice the size. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 PM

don't worry about the hot air. thats what the intercooler is for.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Not a fan of the location. There's room to stick a filter to the left of that one and fab up some sort of heat shield kind of like the K&N SRI for the Cobalts.

ZZP has some great stuff out for the LNF motors. I figured they would come up with a better system than this. That could be made for less than $75 using parts from siliconintakes.com
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 PM

moon and turbo hearse are spot on with this.this is nothing "new". so far the stock box has proven to work best.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:40 PM

"Nothing new"??

According to ZZP it's a new item that has been produced for the HHR SS....which I'm pretty sure has been proven to increase performance. There is a reason why they installed this "new" intake tube on Joe's SS. Let's get Joe in here...maybe he can help break this down, to see what it's all about. I'm pretty sure he has dyno results with the "new" updated intake tube

Last edited by KissMy08SS; 02-11-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:40 AM

I'd have to see dyno results to believe it. Can't see where you could pick up any H.P. from a underhood, short intake tube, thats sucking hot air. Granted it still goes through the intercooler, but a few degrees difference in intake air at the cooler, still is higher than cooler air, from another system.
Just because someone makes a part and says it's the "Hot" setup, does'nt mean it is. Dyno sheets from the manufacture, can be misleading. After all their in the business of selling parts, a lot of them to people that don't know the difference. Just saying. "Moon"
Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 AM

EDIT: Let me note the photo posted is meant to show the "upgraded intake tube", not the intake as whole, as the pipe would be the Dejon piece. Do I see more gains from this upgraded tube and stock box? Possibly, but I disliked covering my engine with such. I am sure ZZP will be produced the tube to work with the OEM box.

Originally Posted by moonsign
Unless you do serious track time, coilovers are a waste. For a daily drivers, it's good fodder for braging rights, but that's about it.
I just changed the muffler on my Auto SS. Turbos like backpressure, so I only swaped out the muffler.
Just because someone makes a part and says it's the "Hot" setup, does'nt mean it is. Dyno sheets from the manufacture, can be misleading. After all their in the business of selling parts, a lot of them to people that don't know the difference. Just saying. "Moon"
This just a sample of the personal opinions I've shaken my head at watching you post on this forum . Mere opinions though, that's all they are.

There is nothing "misleading" from ZZP here. They produce parts for this market alone and develop them on company vehicles. These vehicles perform at the track and hold records. I don't think Ryan's car has this same intake tube for aesthetic value, it has only ran a 9.82@ 141. Matt's LNF? 10.99@ 133. Stock turbo LNF? 11.62@119.

This was simple:
-there is my HHR
-there is ZZP's dyno

After putting out lower number's than the Cobalt crowd my setup was looked over by Ryan, one thing noted was the intake tube directly off of the turbo. They do produce the part for the Cobalt for a reason. That said my factory tube came off, and a ZZP intake tube came out, and was modified to fit.

12WHP.

One thing to note with the people looking to make power on this site and increase availability of parts that do such:

Tim @ ZZP did contact me a week after my dyno for fitment of a production tube onto my HHR. However it is still in storage away from the winter elements. I know they have fitted the tube on an automatic HHR SS that is local, and only wanted mine to verify manual in which I'm 99.9% sure would be just fine. "Joe"

Quick Reply: *NEW* ZZP Intake Tube for the HHR SS