2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

blow throu?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 PM

blow throu?

any body done it? piks of set up?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 PM

?????? Define Blow-throu. The stock SS system is a blow through system. Sucks in one end-blows the other end. "Moon:
Old 12-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 PM

A blow through system is a turbo/supercharger that is before the carb. The fuel is mixed after the TC/SC sees boost. It is a good/cost efficent way to add power to a carbed motor. A draw through is a system that fuel is added before the TC/SC . A horrible way at producing power. The early GN/T Type's did this and with not good results. Although, I have seen a couple of turbo true Pontiacs V8's that are making 500-600 hp with this system. These were backyard mechanics working on a tight budget. All of of these were with twins, that I have seen. Not worth it in my opinion! This turbo set up will just heat up the fuel and give the way to the highly increased risk of detonation. Although, I do not get the OP's original question. Why would you do a blow thru with the Ecotec, unless you have thousands of dollars to spend. You do have an SS! Why not add a couple of bolt ons and the stage/aftermarket tune to achieve a better performing SS? I plan on swapping the turbo soon but what exactly are you asking for?

Dave
Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 AM

he's talking about the MAF location...... the stock LNF setup is a "draw thru" style. this means that the turbo is drawing the air thru the MAF. relocating the MAF to the cold side pipe (from intercooler to throttle body) changes the setup to a "blow thru". this means that the turbo is blowing the air thru the MAF. a "blow thru" setup allows you to run a VTA BOV (vent to atmosphere blow off valve) instead of the factory recirculation setup.

i hope this explains it clear enough...... moving on to the OP....

i honestly don't know of any HHR SS owners that have done this, but i know for a fact it's most certainly possible because i know a lot of the Cobalt SS/TC (the same exact thing we got) owners that have done this. there's a bunch of different parts you'd have to get in order for you to successfully do this and you'd definitely need a custom tune to dial it in correctly.... from what i've heard from my tuning friends, it's a PITA to tune. it would be a lot CHEAPER & EASIER to just get a hot side charge pipe, catless downpipe & a custom tune....... i have this setup currently on my HHR SS, the tune is on the safe side because of winter (really cold & crappy gas).... i'm roughly 320whp/350wtq.

but if you absolutely insist that you want to do the change, here's a list of the parts you'd have to acquire......

-bpv block off plate
-hot side charge pipe w/ flange for bov
-bov
-cold side charge pipe w/ MAF relocation kit
-MAF block off from the stock intake OR custom intake
-custom tune

yea it doesnt seem like much of a "needed parts list" BUT it's more expensive and you'll end up with the same power results....... oh and you'll have a little ricer noise maker.

so what i'm trying to say.... it's not worth it.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

CIA sells the maf relocating kits wit the tune if youre interested in it. Piping with tall the wiring extensions n all. But it aint worth it imo
Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by bartSS
CIA sells the maf relocating kits wit the tune if youre interested in it. Piping with tall the wiring extensions n all. But it aint worth it imo
i was hoping that you'd chime in.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 AM

thanks rally

iv been in the performance indusrty for a long while mostly v8's (www.injection-connection.com) but new to the LNF comunity

the reason id like to go this rout is because i plan on running 25psi and i dont thing the factory bypass will be sufficient so id like to use a different bov, or if im wrong please let me know?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by coreycooper
thanks rally

iv been in the performance indusrty for a long while mostly v8's (www.injection-connection.com) but new to the LNF comunity

the reason id like to go this rout is because i plan on running 25psi and i dont thing the factory bypass will be sufficient so id like to use a different bov, or if im wrong please let me know?
yea i'm all over the place with my vehicle background, haha! before my HHR SS i had a Cobalt SS/SC for 3.5 years, but i have a lot of friends with the LNF Cobalts, so i've been picking up some good information from them over the past 2+ years they've been out.

i'm seeing 24psi with the safe custom tune i'm on. there's a company that makes a forged bpv for our setup, it replaces the factory plastic piece. i know a bunch of guys that have ran 24-26psi on the stock setup for 2 years and the plastic bpv is still holding up. i made a thread about it with a link, i'll find that and post it here.......

http://forgemotorsport.com/content.a...roduct=FMDVVXR
Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Relocating the MAF will improve fuel response. It pretty much eliminates the rich spike right at WOT.

Last edited by 1Panel2NV; 12-10-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: blow throu?