2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

how to figure out the noise?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:17 PM

how to figure out the noise?!

i had exhaust mods done back this winter which eliminated the resonator (i think) with a straight 2.5 inch pipe from the cat to the existing muffler where the resonator once was... they also put in a muffler similar to a flowmaster (cant remember the name) and it was all welded.. I went to the place with intentions of a 3 inch system and they said "i doubt a 3 inch exhaust system will fit under this car it looks too tight) so that is why i went with the parts i did...$130 didnt seem bad at the time

NOW.. it sounds good on cold start warm ups and doesnt drown or sound obnoxious like a pinging fart can on freeway (which they said would of happen with the flowmaster ones).... but when i do stomp on the throttle from a low end speed i hear a loud vibration sound. it might even be more noticeable if im in a turning motion..... do you think they have a slightly wrong bend somewhere? or the heat shield is hitting somewhere or is it the weak factory motor mounts and when i mash down on the throttle its flexing the exhaust into the underbody somewhere??? of coarse its something you cant just rev in the driveway in park. its only under a load it does it...

its not a everytime thing either but its frequent when im not driving "old manish" haha

also should i of just went with a 3 inch system and can i get a 3 inch now that the resonator is gone?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:54 PM

If you get it on a lift, or jack stands and use a creeper you should be able to see where it's hitting. (bare metal polished looking areas would be what you look for) Motor mounts are probably involved as they are soft... A 3" is going to do the same thing or worse if the 2 1/2 is hitting and you use it as a template, right?
Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 PM

I'm running three inch with no rubbing. When you get on it the motor flexes a bit, and greybeard is right there is contact somewhere. You can quick fix with some heat wrap, or have it rewelded
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM

If you put a 3" system on your HHR, you will lose a lot more power, in your driveable power range, than you might gain on the higher end
Old 05-13-2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rod Run
If you put a 3" system on your HHR, you will lose a lot more power, in your driveable power range, than you might gain on the higher end
Please find a hobby....giving out false info isn't needed here
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by EcotecRacer
Please find a hobby....giving out false info isn't needed here
I'm not here to argue. Nothing is ever 100% accurate all the time, but I was just talking from experience on over 25 years of doing exhausts
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM

Hey Onelife1983,

Got your PM. Here is a video of the HAHN 3" with Cat-less DP. I rev'd and held to 4K(that would translate to about 90-95mph in final drive on the interstate, to give you an idea of engine "drone"). I used a Canon60D, so the sound is pretty accurate.

The slight smoke/condensation is normal since I no longer have cats. (I hope,...., it's not rings starting to go, that would suck). This is the first time I noticed this, it is pretty wet outside today, and it rained all yesterday, hope I'm just being paranoid.

http://youtu.be/TFBMqJSBVeU

From my experience with 3" exhaust, the car didn't notice it until I changed out the DP, then it was a whole new experience
Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Cute dog foolmoon. Now about that "mod" on the dog's tail.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM

$1,000 exhaust upstaged by a pom-pom thats all my fault... she got into a tick nest two weeks ago. I wouldn't make a good groomer
Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rod Run
I'm not here to argue. Nothing is ever 100% accurate all the time, but I was just talking from experience on over 25 years of doing exhausts
My point is each car is different

Fact is fuel is weak point on our cars at top end not flow

Example. I have auto and on dyno I showed better powerband with a cat
A friend has a manual and he benefitted from no cat

Both of us use 3" exhaust but gearing makes each of our powerbands different specially top end

Quick Reply: how to figure out the noise?!