2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Just pulled the trigger...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Many people do not know the difference or what Torque is so I just keep the replys general terms.

Exspecially when they say they can feel any differance.

The jump is a big 260 to 315 FT-LB
It's funny how people with alot of posts think that they are SO much smarter than everyone else!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Chevy2 if you were closer, I'd offer to take you for a ride in mine. In general, folks I've taken for rides in my SS have gotten out with huge smiles and the usual comment is "that's a 2 liter 4 banger?!?"

Later
Allex
Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Many people do not know the difference or what Torque is so I just keep the replys general terms.

Exspecially when they say they can feel any differance.

The jump is a big 260 to 315 FT-LB
Holy mother of...!!! Are you serious? That is incredible! This really is a no-brainer. People can spend many thousands of dollars to get that kind of increase in power on other vehicles.

You are talking about an increase of more than 20%!

Originally Posted by Mr.Redface
I just remember the GM tech talking to me after the install. It was their first upgrade done. In his words "be careful it's not the same car".
Given the above, yeah, I would think that he was spot on!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:40 PM

I guess the next obvious question would be whether the upgrade has a negative impact on fuel mileage? And I mean even if you keep your foot out of it.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rob T
Holy mother of...!!! Are you serious? That is incredible! This really is a no-brainer. People can spend many thousands of dollars to get that kind of increase in power on other vehicles.

You are talking about an increase of more than 20%!

Given the above, yeah, I would think that he was spot on!
That is nothing the 5 Speed Solstice Turbo upgrade goes to 340 FT-LB with 290 HP. The Manual RWD will take more so they gave it more.

The MPG in reality goes up. This is confimed by the lead engineer that oversaw the program. He said they did not intend to to that but it was a plesant side effect.

He feels since the car gets up to speed facter there is more lift off of the gas. In this engine the gas is shut off when you lift off the throttle. This has given most of us 1-3 MPG increase in mileage. This is a real gain not a web BS gain.

They only real negitive is Premium fuel in now required and really have no options. This is not really a big deal.

Turbo engines are generally a good engine to add performance to. You can make some gains very easy. With this engine it is no where near it's limits so they are also safe. The tranny and clutch are the weak spots so that is why we are limited to 315 FT LB.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy2
It's funny how people with alot of posts think that they are SO much smarter than everyone else!
Funny how people with so few post can be so negitive at times.

We are not smarter just better informed.

I would be careful there are many here with a lot of post. Most are very good, informitive and helpful people when you have issues. One of many here just might just solve one of your problems with the SS someday. Many here have already have helped solve a few of mine.

Many time a lot of post is a sign we had asked a questions to learn or passed on what we had learned.

My comment was just a joke nothing personal note the [LOL Emot] as few here will agree there was little change in the upgrade. I think if you look at the many threads the only major complains of lack of power were from people with install issues. 5 speed or not.

Brother we all learn from each other here.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:47 AM

So I recieved the kit yesterday from UPS and I called Rinke to setup the install. Well, they wanted $300 quoting 3 hours of labor. So on Monday I will be calling other dealerships to see if anyone else is cheaper. Anyone recently get this kit installed for less around Michigan? I am willing to drive a good distance to save some cash. Closest to Roseville/Warren area preferred.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 AM

Rinke, I wouldn't let them work on my wheelbarrow. You can try Buff Whelan in Sterling Heights. Also Matthews Hargreaves on 12 mile west of 75 does the installs. I had mine done at Hamilton but the tech said they were going to raise their price cause the HHR is the hardest one of the 2.0's to do. His reason was the lack of room for the lower sensor, tough to get to. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:37 AM

The lower one is tough but most here have gotten 1 hour to 1.5 hours labor. A good tech can do it in this time.

Shop around not only will you get a better price but odds are you will get a guy who has done a few of these and a better job.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:24 AM

Hyper6 is right. No more than 1.5 hrs.. and it should only cost your about $160.00 if done at a "good" dealer. Just make sure if you have the Auto to do the Brake-fix at the same time, and have the tech SOLDER the wires instead of crimping them. Another good thing to do is to print out the TSB's that ChevyMgr has been religious about posting, that relate to the Turbo Upgrade Kit. As stated over and over again--- for the SS its the best $ for $ mod available-- especially for the Automatic,

Quick Reply: Just pulled the trigger...