2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Manual Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 AM

Manual Boost Controller

I know that this topic has been slightly discussed before, but i was wondering if that there is anything out there now that would work on our car as a manual boost controller, i am not sure if this is just what the gm stage 1 kit does and i am not sure how much more boost people are running on that set up. I just want something to TURN UP THE BOOST. Thanks "JG"
Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JRGHHRSS08
I know that this topic has been slightly discussed before, but i was wondering if that there is anything out there now that would work on our car as a manual boost controller, i am not sure if this is just what the gm stage 1 kit does and i am not sure how much more boost people are running on that set up. I just want something to TURN UP THE BOOST. Thanks "JG"
The GM Tubo Upgrade kit will increase your boost. In most areas of the country you can easily see 19-23 PSI.

I would not mess with the manual knob. You would lose your engine management system that keep the driveline alive as well as the engine.

Knobs are good for racers with well built engines that have a margin of safety built in with the modified parts.

The GM management system does a good job and it keeps you full 5 year 100,000 mile GM warranty alive.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 AM

It doesnt work anyways. I already tried it. the computer counter reacts to it....
Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 AM

yup, without a tune it'll go limp due to overboost unless you have the turbo upgrade. I wouldn't push these cars too hard on stock tune anyways, they run too lean to push it too hard...
Old 11-12-2010, 02:57 PM

Looks like its to for the stage 1 kit, thanks guys, i wasnt sure if anyone had developed anything yet other than the $600 fee for the dealership lol
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 PM

well you could get a real tune, or atleast install your own sensors, probally do a better job than the dealer. you could buy the sensors for around 100 from paw with pigtails and buy hp tuners and have a tuned stage kit for less than what the dealer will charge for a kit plus installation...
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxon
well you could get a real tune, or atleast install your own sensors, probally do a better job than the dealer. you could buy the sensors for around 100 from paw with pigtails and buy hp tuners and have a tuned stage kit for less than what the dealer will charge for a kit plus installation...
The majority of the parameters changed in the stage kit are not even visible on HP Tuners for the LNF ECM. They have cracked only a tiny portion of the code and appear to have orphaned it, since there have been no improvements in HPT's capabilities on the LNF since forever. There is no control over cam phasing and injection timing, which both figure heavily in the LNF calibration. The big attraction of the stage kit over other tunes is the consistent effectiveness of it, coupled with the fact that you retain the factory warranty on the engine and powertrain. The cost of the legit turbo upgrade won't even get you a set of replacement pistons, let alone the true cost of a rebuild. I've been tuning my LS1 for several years, but I can't even begin to tell you how many drooling idiots there are out there with HP Tuners or other tuning packages. The software imparts no wisdom upon the end user.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mistermike
The software imparts no wisdom upon the end user.
But it can give you plenty of broken parts.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by mistermike
The majority of the parameters changed in the stage kit are not even visible on HP Tuners for the LNF ECM. They have cracked only a tiny portion of the code and appear to have orphaned it, since there have been no improvements in HPT's capabilities on the LNF since forever. There is no control over cam phasing and injection timing, which both figure heavily in the LNF calibration. The big attraction of the stage kit over other tunes is the consistent effectiveness of it, coupled with the fact that you retain the factory warranty on the engine and powertrain. The cost of the legit turbo upgrade won't even get you a set of replacement pistons, let alone the true cost of a rebuild. I've been tuning my LS1 for several years, but I can't even begin to tell you how many drooling idiots there are out there with HP Tuners or other tuning packages. The software imparts no wisdom upon the end user.
I have had no broken parts that have to do with the tune, been tuned for over 40k now. I have HP tuners and we do have some control over the cam timing, but it doesnt make any more useable power with different adjustments. It has definatly been a while since HPT has gave us anything new, which is why my car is now trifecta+hpt. I also have had no warranty issues when flashing back to stock. I decided to go with the dual tune instead of the stage sensors for the fact I didn't want to cut wiring up. Yes, you can mess something up if your an idiot, you can do that mechanically as well as electronically. If you have someone thats intelligent or just not an idiot doing the tune there should be no issue. I was running stock with a tune for about 42k, even went to mixing 1:1 93octane with e85. I ran up to 23.5* timing on 21psi to redline with my afr richened to ~13.0. Had no issues ever with any of my tuning.