2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Question for those w/ a bigger IC...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Question for those w/ a bigger IC...

OK so this weekend the weather was terrific, I went ahead and installed the Hahn intercooler along w/ the hotside piping. The cold side piping was a little beyond me since huge arms + tiny spaces don't mix well but I'll get that installed next Monday . Anyhoo, the IC was super easy to swap in (I made sure everything lined up correctly), but when I was reinstalling the front bumper (I also installed my set of Fall Edition headlamps too) I noticed that I couldn't reinstall the splitter that goes under the intercooler + foglights because the IC hangs about 1/2" below the bumper. Is that normal? I adjusted the IC as far up as it would go and it's right on the crossmember but I'm not 100% comfy with leaving that bit of the IC exposed like that. Any suggestions or ideas out there? Any of you that have the Hahn or a bigger intercooler run into this problem, and how'd you resolve it?

Thanks
Allex
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 PM

I have a hahn intercooler and didn't have that problem at all. I did find that it was really tight up against the bumper re-bar. Even the piping has to be played around with so that it sits just right not to rub. When I took my bumber off I took the splitter, bumper, fog lights all off in one peace, It was easier doing it that way I found.

Did you try maybe mounting the intercooler the other way (upside down) I remember when I mounted mine that I wasn't sure wich way to put it and I did have to try it both ways to fined what I thought was the best fit.

I also had a problem with hahn where the pipes they sent my didn't have the spots for the sensors. I called them up and they fixed it no problem, sent my a new one and let me keep the old ones too. But I'm just thinking maybe they made a mistake when making it or maybe they sent you a cobalt or sky one? I'm sure if you called them or emailed them they could just confirm the demensions of it for you.

Hope some of that might help
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 PM

but i thought the cobalt and the hhr were the same size
Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 PM

I don't think they are I had to order mine for a hhr. Maybe the stock ones are the same but I think hahn makes them slightly different for the cobalt and hhr to get the most out of the difference in bumpers and space between the two cars.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 AM

I had a bit of trouble getting the splitter back in. worked it for awhile. and after some cussing and crying i got it back good as new. pretty sung though.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:06 PM

The intercooler has the Hahn logo on it so it can only go on one way lol. It's sitting about 1/2" under the crossmember and I can't get it any higher; that's why it's sitting 1/2" too low. I got it from a member on here who had it installed in his SS so all the piping is correct. I'm having my local speedshop install the cold-side pipe on Monday so I'll have them tweak it just so I can get the splitter back on. I'm sure it's just an adjustment issue. Thanks guys, If there are any other suggestions out there, please share! I'll try to get pics sometime this week.

Later
Allex
Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

I dunno bro i have the crazysteve ic which is taller and never had an issue. The splitter went on just fine and the ic doesnt sit lower
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Well as of right now I have the stock IC piping back on. Whenever I have some free time on a weekend I'll get the bumper back off and maybe try shimming the intercooler back enough to clear the crossmember and hopefully push it up a hair. Hopefully it's not some weird production issue w/ my SS but I'll keep you guys posted. I put pics up in my gallery so you can "kind of" see how the IC sits.

Later
Allex