2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Stage I install problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:18 AM

Stage I install problems

Recently took delivery of a new 09 HHR SS with the Automatic. I ordered the Stage I upgrade as part of the deal. The dealer installed it this week and I got it back today. Drove it away from the dealership and noticed the power increase right away, unfortunately the check engine light came on. I took it back immediately and they found a vacuum hose had popped off.

Next I drive it down a highway for about 10 miles, stop and gas up with premium Shell and wash it. When getting back on the highway to come home I floor it to test it out and it takes off great then it falters twice and then loses power and finally quits. I pull off the highway and can start the engine but it won't stay running and won't idle. I get a tow back to town and the dealer is trying to figure out what the heck happened. It's the first time this dealer has ever installed one of these kits. Just not my day I guess.

The dealer will cover it but has anyone else experienced these problems with the Stage I kit?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Not these exact problems but some of us have has some issued with the install but they can vary for many reasons.

Your install sounded like it was not done correctly. It could be something as simple and a bad wire connection the pulled appart when you get on the gas as the engine pulls on it.

It is under warrantry so let them deal with it. Often the first install is a learning thing for the tech.

My issues were from a replace intake tube and intercooler. When they replaced my intercooler they bolted it in a little farther back than it was. When the new Map went on it would let it hit the AC compressor. THe boost would spike under acceleration when it would short then drop.

A simple relocation of the Intercooler fixed it. If my Intercooler had not been replaced it would not have ever happend. There is very little clearance and 1/ can make it differance.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 AM

They couldn't quickly locate the problem Friday afternoon so hopefully the dealer can fix the problem Monday or Tuesday.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 AM

I also have problems wiith the kit. 2008 HHR SS. It randomly drops back into the "safe" mode IE max boost 5 lbs. I have to stop the engine for a couple of minutes and then turn it back on. It then returns to its stage 1 programing. The engine light does not come on when it drops to the safe mode. It does have a 12 month warranty after installation and I am again taking it back to installing dealer Monday.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:03 AM

Got my HHR back today and it runs great! During the install process last week somehow the wiring got screwed up. The dealer had wired it backwards...it's a wonder it even ran at all! I'm very pleased with the stage 1 kit and now it performs much closer to my Syclone but with far better gas mileage. Ran out to Eagle River with it last night and according to the vehicle's on board computer I was averaging 39.2 mpg at 65mph.

Last edited by davkat; 08-11-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Spelling and rewording
Old 08-11-2009, 03:58 PM

that's really funny you say that... I was going to post and tell you that would be my guess since the HHR actually has to be wired backwards to make it right (colors don't match on the stage 1), but the reason I didn't post is my account was crazy and wouldn't let me! LOL! Anyway, glad you got it fixed!