2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Stages ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by xtremekirk
have any other SS owners noticed that they dont have a hood blanket???
This was the first thing I noticed. I was told by the Dealership that being turbocharged there would be a heat build up problem. Anyone know if this is true? Did any of you SS owners get the hood blanket? I see the little tabs under the hood are there for one. Did some of us get cheated, or is the heat build up thing the answer?????

SPPD
Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by agentsmith23
I know no one at this point knows for sure but I wonder of the stage kits will be available for the autos. The reason I say that is , I would be really ticked off if they do allow the stage kits on the autos. For one we already started out with 25 less HP than the manual and secondly if the stage 1 kit gives a 30-40HP boost it will get the autos right where the manual started but it will only cost the auto owners about $1000 more to get the same HP as the manual came with stock. Actually it will end up being $2000 more for the same performance as the manual because auto owners already shelled out an extra grand just to get the auto.

I guess at this point we will just have to wait and see.

this is just my opinion and I may be wrong!!! but I do not think that the Stage Kit be offered for the Auto, and here is why....(the Transmission) if the unit is weak from the get go, why would GM offer a kit that increases HP & TQ on a weak unit???? think about it, they would be opening the door for warranty issues!!! I think the real "issue" for us Auto owners, is what we need to do to strenghten the trans if we decide to tune the vehicle. We already know that Hahn is working on the PPC with BSR for the Automatic version, it will be interesting to see what changes they make to the tune for it to be competitive with the 5 spd. On the other hand, another member, (can't remember who) works at the trans plant and has assembled 1000's of our transmissions and has not yet seen one to come back because of failure, and then again, this may be the most power this trans has and will see in our SS's...just some thoughts for us to ponder
Old 07-04-2008, 11:08 AM

I am adopting a wait and see.........
Old 07-04-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
this is just my opinion and I may be wrong!!! but I do not think that the Stage Kit be offered for the Auto, and here is why....(the Transmission) if the unit is weak from the get go, why would GM offer a kit that increases HP & TQ on a weak unit???? think about it, they would be opening the door for warranty issues!!! I think the real "issue" for us Auto owners, is what we need to do to strenghten the trans if we decide to tune the vehicle. We already know that Hahn is working on the PPC with BSR for the Automatic version, it will be interesting to see what changes they make to the tune for it to be competitive with the 5 spd. On the other hand, another member, (can't remember who) works at the trans plant and has assembled 1000's of our transmissions and has not yet seen one to come back because of failure, and then again, this may be the most power this trans has and will see in our SS's...just some thoughts for us to ponder
Good assertion of the A4 and probably pretty close to spot on. Any power increases would only be added in 3rd and 4th gear. Hopefully they will offer a modified transmission to help us A4 owners.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Good assertion of the A4 and probably pretty close to spot on. Any power increases would only be added in 3rd and 4th gear. Hopefully they will offer a modified transmission to help us A4 owners.
thanks, I also thought about what you said on performance increase in 3rd & 4th gears, but that would only be a a slight increase at the track, since the power would only come on in 3rd, and you be through the 1/4 mile by then On the highway it would really be a benefit even more so when using passing gear, and the top end. I think we all can agree with "tomw" about taking the "wait and see" approach of what the future brings.
I am sure that mods can be done to the trans for new found power, but then you are really giving up your warranty if you take that route.
On another thought, and this may have been mentioned before, it is possible tha GM has under rated the TQ limitations of the Auto trans??? What we really need to see, is at what limit the trans can handle before it falls apart!!!
Any takers?????????? And no, MR. ANAL is not volunteering for this event
Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 PM

3rd and 4th because it's already at the transmission limit in 1st and 2nd. I can't see GM offering more power without doing something to the transmission. As previously stated, I'm sure the 4T45 can handle more power, but I don't know where the limits are and I'm I'm not volunteering to test them.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
On another thought, and this may have been mentioned before, it is possible tha GM has under rated the TQ limitations of the Auto trans??? What we really need to see, is at what limit the trans can handle before it falls apart!!!
Any takers?????????? And no, MR. ANAL is not volunteering for this event
When a person provides a statement to support a some type of conspiracy, they usually also provide a reason. What would be the reason ???

But, I also need to impress that part of the speed and torque limitations on the A4 SS is due to FEDERAL EMISSION requirements. Realize that Federal Emission testing requires compliance at start up, idle and thru the different speeds, rpm line.

My guess is the "stage" kits will NOT be available for the A4. Just a guess though !!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
When a person provides a statement to support a some type of conspiracy, they usually also provide a reason. What would be the reason ???
I must have missed something, I didn't see any sort of conspiracy proposed.

But, I also need to impress that part of the speed and torque limitations on the A4 SS is due to FEDERAL EMISSION requirements. Realize that Federal Emission testing requires compliance at start up, idle and thru the different speeds, rpm line.

My guess is the "stage" kits will NOT be available for the A4. Just a guess though !!
Goes without saying and if the M5 configuration meets emissions requirements and assuming the transmission COULD handle the power output it would have been cheaper and easier for GM to use the same engine calibrations as the M5 instead of developing new power limiting one's for the A4.

I hope they will offer something, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

My wording was jest...should have added a smiley. My question, however, still stands.....why???

No, when tests are conducted the pull, rpms, torque, overall operation of the drivetrain is different in an automatic vs a manual (cooling for example). Some is due to gear ratios and other mechanical, electrical functions. At times, these differences can be tuned out. Apparently not this time. Remember, and I want to reinforce this, I said partly due to emissions. So, please don't take the position as the ONLY absolute.

If you search way back, I mentioned a visit of a friend in the HHR SS before they were introduced. The car was an automatic HHR SS test car. The extended testing had a 2-fold purpose...engine cooling and emission related.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:32 AM

My wording was jest...should have added a smiley. My question, however, still stands.....why???

Glad to add the for you....
if I understand you correctly.....why???? would like more power from the auto, nothing to crazy , not that many places to use it , except at the track. and would really like to know how much HP & TQ increase the trans could handle before it fails....... does that answer the "why"???

Quick Reply: Stages ???