2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Stages ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
Glad to add the for you....
if I understand you correctly.....why???? would like more power from the auto, nothing to crazy , not that many places to use it , except at the track. and would really like to know how much HP & TQ increase the trans could handle before it fails....... does that answer the "why"???
No......and I guess this misunderstanding is partly my fault. You had 2 questions in the referenced paragraph. I was referring to the first question...."is it possible that GM under rated the torque limitations of the auto trans?"..... and should have explained that clearer.

So, why would GM under rate the torque limitations (other than the usual safety buffer, that all manufacturers use)? What would they accomplish or gain...what could/would be the reason?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Banned

i would love to see a stage kit for the SS i would get one in a heartbeat. Most likely a stage 2 because 1 isnt enough and 3 would be a bit too much for the street
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
No......and I guess this misunderstanding is partly my fault. You had 2 questions in the referenced paragraph. I was referring to the first question...."is it possible that GM under rated the torque limitations of the auto trans?"..... and should have explained that clearer.

So, why would GM under rate the torque limitations (other than the usual safety buffer, that all manufacturers use)? What would they accomplish or gain...what could/would be the reason?
dummy me now I understand......I guess it all goes back to the early days when alot of motors were underrated for whatever reason
(69 Z28) one of the more famous ones.....I was just thinking outloud, who knows what goes on in their minds these days???? They expect 70% or better to have the auto vs the 5spd, maybe, who knows maybe.....they have to realize that not all of the 70% who buy the auto are going to be satisfied with the current performance of that trans, and if the forthcoming Stage kit from GM does not include the Auto trans, I think there would be alot of people upset with that, thinking that other than an outside tune, a performance increase is simply not available for the Auto (we all know that there is from BSR/Hahn,) and probably more to follow. again just thinking outloud.....and if GM does include the Auto in their new Stage kit, then that tells you that the trans is underratted, unless, like I mentioned before, they keeep the HP & TQ the same in 1st & 2nd and then a big increase in 3rd & 4th.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

Just talked to the dealer and the stage kits are coming in the fall. The dealer that does all of my work owns the website www.crateenginedept.com check it out.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bartSS
Just talked to the dealer and the stage kits are coming in the fall. The dealer that does all of my work owns the website www.crateenginedept.com check it out.
Really? That rocks. I called my dealer up today and they had no clue what I was talking about. It is a smaller dealer though. Hopefully this information is accurate.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Banned

Yeah the guy i talked to at the dealer is one of 2 that does the stage kits on cobalts and now on the HHRs when they come out. He said he talked to the guy thats designing them and by the time they are made and tested it should be around the fall. He will e-mail me as soon as he knows anything more. I will keep you guys posted
Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 PM

Can anyone else get that link to work?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

my bad its www.crateenginedepot.com
Old 07-21-2008, 12:55 PM

Does anyone know if these stages are going to be offered when you order the car or is it something that will have to be bought from the parts counter after the fact?

Also, any ideas of what will be available? exhaust, computer, etc...
Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM

Parts counter after the fact.