2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Superchips cortex. what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:26 AM

Superchips cortex. what to expect?

hey guys I've been lurking for a while now.. I ordered a superchips cortex and am wondering what to expect once installed? does anyone have any first hand experience with these?
I really would like to have firmer shifts..

I've read about other members going with other tuners. That's not what I want to know about.. just trying to find about the cortex/flashpaq on auto cars.

Last edited by raminator01; 06-26-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 AM

The tune you are talking about was developed for the SAAB's a few years back and is considered a "canned" tune. meaning it is a base tune set for a universal amount of power and not your specific region, altitude, humidity, mods, etc.

It will void your warrenty, GMTU will not. Trifecta, or HP are much better tunes.

Stay far away from BSR. their PPC tuner is similar to Superchips/Cortex
Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

here is what you want to know about the cortex for the auto.... its garbage get a real tune

/thread
Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 AM

thanks bart!!
honestly for now i just want something thats going to give me a little more oomph. in a few months ill probably go with a "real tune" and get a downpipe and a 3" exhaust maybe an intercooler and the pipes..
Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Deceased

If it were my HHR, I'd skip the Superchips and forgo the extra oopmh(and the problems)while I save up some extra scratch for a proper Trifecta tune.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by raminator01
thanks bart!!
honestly for now i just want something thats going to give me a little more oomph. in a few months ill probably go with a "real tune" and get a downpipe and a 3" exhaust maybe an intercooler and the pipes..
See now youre thinking right... but if you can, return it... and i wouldnt even do trifecta... get a real street tune with HPtuners... Trifecta is still a tune in a box i guess you can say because vince doesnt actually ride with you to make tweaks on the spot...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 AM

In my opinion its a good tune. I have both the trifecta and the superchips cortex. I actually tuned over the superchips with the trifecta to keep the transmission settings. The trifecta caused problems for me with too much boost. Be prepared to buy the intercooler pipes and good clamps. There are currently no transmission changes with the trifecta tune and in my opinion it shifts pretty hard. Your better off getting the cortex installed first. You'll be happy with it for a few months than you'll want more power. I also like the 0-60 timer and code scanner. Good luck.

2008 Black ss w/crazy steve pipe, zzp pipe connectors H/S, superchips cortex, trifecta tune, k&N intake, 245/40/18 nitto neogens and dejon spring.

Also: my best 0-60 times were with the superchips. The trifecta has alot of power and is harder to launch.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Oh I forgot.. Its and Auto
Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bartSS
here is what you want to know about the cortex for the auto.... its garbage get a real tune

/thread
^^^Ditto, take it from those of us who are heavily modded and have been around for awhile

The superchips was a great alternative when the HHR SS first came out because there weren't better alternatives.

Now think of Superchips and BSR PPC tuners as sort of a dinosaur as far as a tune for the LNF platform.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 PM

I've been running a Superchips tuner for about a year and a half and am very happy. It may not squeeze out every horse from the engine, but it is reliable, and easy to put on and take off. You will notice a significant increase in power as soon as you put it on. You won't notice any shifting difference until you are at wide open throttle. Then it will chip the tires when it shifts from first to second. The shifts will be firmer and you can control where it shifts as well as the shift pressure. In terms of gas mileage, I just completed an 800 mile trip to southern California and got 32 mpg.

On the down side, Superchips doesn't seem to be releasing any new updates for the HHR. My guess is that there aren't enough of us out there to justify the effort.

Far from being garbage, I would say it is a good middle of the road product that won't give you any problems. Also, if you haven't done it, check out the Superchips forum.

Quick Reply: Superchips cortex. what to expect?