2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

superchips dyno sheet

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM

superchips dyno sheet

this is for the auto SS. problem is i have no idea how to read these numbers?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Deceased

OK, the SAE corrected horsepower is always the column on the left, the SAE corrected torque is the column on the right, engine rpm across the bottom of course.

Since this chart is from Superchips, I'm going assume that the red trace is the chipped vehicle, and the blue is stock.

Going on that assumption, the chipped engine is hitting about 185hp at 4,250 rpm where the stock unit is hitting that number out at 6,000rpm.

Still going on that assumption, the chipped engine is hitting its peak torque of 142 ft lbs at around 3,900 rpm, and the stock engine is hitting its torque peak of 178 ft lbs at 5,900 rpm.

Or since the traces are not identified identified by color at the top of the chart, you can flip the results around.

This is why I hate dyno charts from chip manufactures/exhaust manufacturers/etc. You're lacking some info here like ambient temperature, relative humidity, whether one vehicle was used for the baseline and the chipped runs(or did they chip one and grab Fred's stock one from the parking lot?), did they have a stock intake and exhaust fitted or something else....and on and on.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM

i thought the auto SS was rated at quite a bit more than that? is there that much loss of tourque through powertrain loss?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 PM

dynojet or mustang dyno?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Deceased

Well automatic transmissions do "eat" some power, but that dyno chart just doesn't read right anyway I look at it, especially since there are so many variables that are unknown.

You can get wildly different numbers just with a change in ambient air temperatures, do a pull at 65° and then do one at 90°, and the numbers will drop with the higher temperature.

You also have to factor in the fact that its a chassis dyno versus the engine dyno used by Chevrolet to arrive at the horsepower and torque figures published for the SS.

For the most part, engine performance chips either fool the ECM into ignoring the knock sensor so the timing can be advanced, or they mess around with the injector pulse duration and feed in more fuel.

I don't like them since I've seen more problems and engine damage caused by "chipping" cars than I care to remember. Its a case of "caveat emptor", you get what you're paying for, and sometimes you're paying for trouble.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by RobSSTurbo
dynojet or mustang dyno?
they didnt say on the site.. but comparing the 2 dyno sheets (auto vs manual) the manual was getting like 100 more HP and TQ to the wheels at certain rpms...if that was accurate the cars wouldn't be close in performance. stock the manual is like 240 hp to the wheels and the auto is like 210hp. just doesnt add up to me....maybe the auto is kwp instead of HP?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Deceased

That's possible, they just aren't giving enough information to really draw an intelligent conclusion. Heck, you could always e-mail them or call their tech department to see if they have something more useful to look at.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 PM

That dyno sheet is very confusing. I've been around both the Mustang Dyno and the Dynojet dyno, and I haven't seen anything that looks like that before.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
OK, the SAE corrected horsepower is always the column on the left, the SAE corrected torque is the column on the right, engine rpm across the bottom of course.

Since this chart is from Superchips, I'm going assume that the red trace is the chipped vehicle, and the blue is stock.

Going on that assumption, the chipped engine is hitting about 185hp at 4,250 rpm where the stock unit is hitting that number out at 6,000rpm.

Still going on that assumption, the chipped engine is hitting its peak torque of 142 ft lbs at around 3,900 rpm, and the stock engine is hitting its torque peak of 178 ft lbs at 5,900 rpm.

Or since the traces are not identified identified by color at the top of the chart, you can flip the results around.

This is why I hate dyno charts from chip manufactures/exhaust manufacturers/etc. You're lacking some info here like ambient temperature, relative humidity, whether one vehicle was used for the baseline and the chipped runs(or did they chip one and grab Fred's stock one from the parking lot?), did they have a stock intake and exhaust fitted or something else....and on and on.
Mike. The high torque numbers should come in at a much lower RPM. Correct?
Torque-low rpm.HP-high rpm. As I see it, that chart is way off or just poorly written up.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Ive seen dynos of stock LNFs, and they all show a steady rise in HP up to 6000rpm. That seems to be the lower blue line, not sure what the other lines correspond to.
Everything Ive read and seen points to retuning by hpt or trifecta to be far superior to any kind of chips.

Quick Reply: superchips dyno sheet