2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Superchips impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 PM

Superchips impressions

I just used the SuperChips FlashPaq to tune my 5-speed HHR SS and all I can say is

It feels very fast. Torque increase is huge, horsepower not so noticeable but I've only driven for an hour. This tune is definitely more about the mid-range than top-end. The car LEAPS forward in 2nd gear and easily chirps the tires from a roll at 40 or 50 mph. I just kept even with a previous-gen 911 Carrera 4S from a 30mph to 80mph roll. He kept trying to lose me so I know he was trying

Gotta go drive some more, more impressions later!

And please let's not argue about how lame the Superchips tune is like in the other Superchips threads. I wanted an inexpensive, conservative tune as I'm keeping the car otherwise stock and so far, this tune is the shiznit!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 PM

Wooooohooooo!

Another hour of driving - damn this car is fun now :)

I looked up the 911 model that I raced (or something close to it, MotorWeek's test of a 2004 911 Carerra 4S Cabriolet) and it's 315hp, 273lb/ft, 1/4 mile in 14.2 at 102mph. That's pretty much exactly how quick I'd expect my HHR to be now.

I had to disable traction and stability control because, even in competitive mode, they kick in all the time with so much torque on tap - it's gotta be well over 300lb/ft. I'm guessing I'm right around where the GM stage kit is with 290hp and 315lb/ft. There's a noticeable lack of top end power though which is a little disappointing, but up to 5500 it feels like a real beast. It's more than enough power for the street.

Boost is up to 21psi from 15psi before, and it comes on hard at lower rpms. I didn't see what it drops to at redline because I was too busy wrestling with the steering wheel! The wastegate is quite a bit louder when letting of the gas, and it sounds like there's a little pinging or something at full throttle around 3000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear. It's a few little ticks, not that loud, and it may be perfectly normal but it's my only concern right now. That, and wearing out my clutch, brakes and tires because they're going to get used hard now.

I really wanted a car that could keep up with newer Mustang GTs, and I think I've got that now. Mustangs are by far the most common quick car I run across and they've always pulled away from me just a little bit, but, at least from a roll, I think I'll be keeping up now.

So far, I'd say this is an awesome little tune for people who want to keep their cars mostly stock and get a nice, inexpensive, and hopefully reliable power boost. Other tunes probably make more power, but I honestly don't think I'd want any more
Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 AM

how much was the superchips tuner ?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Banned

lol glad you like it, all the performance benefits of the stage 1 without all the drivability issues and installation issues. :) Less than 2 minutes and you are done.

I am loving mine, you can not beat the performance increase for well under $400.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SOMBERSHARK0714
how much was the superchips tuner ?
Mine was $400 CDN on sale at a local parts store, but I've seen it for $300 US.

It's a big performance increase for the money. It really feels like I've got a big V8 under the hood now.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM

The only thing is I have been told it voids your warranty even if you relash it back to stock because the dealer can tell by the number of reflashes of the ECU. I don't want to void my warranty. Stinks!!!! I have pretty much decided to go with the Stage 1 for 735 installed per the dealer in my area. Not going to do it anytime soon though.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 AM

So, I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it. What is the difference in the Flashpaq and the Cortex tuners? It looks like the Cortex is a bit more expensive, but has a 2yr powertrain warranty with it. I would pay the extra for that if its viable...
Old 07-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by JAXFL_SS
So, I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it. What is the difference in the Flashpaq and the Cortex tuners? It looks like the Cortex is a bit more expensive, but has a 2yr powertrain warranty with it. I would pay the extra for that if its viable...
The tuning capabilites are exactly the same for the Flashpaq and Cortex, and you're right about only the Cortex having a powertrain warranty. I was told by my auto parts store that the warranty probably wasn't worth it. It covers problems caused by defects in the Superchips tuner or tune, but if there's nothing wrong with your superchips tune and you blow your tranny because you have more torque, for example, I don't think they cover that. I could be wrong but Superchips customer support never got back to me when I asked.

I figure the Superchips tune is relatively conservative and makes about the same power as the GM tune, and the vehicle is built to take that so I'm not overly concerned about breaking anything (fingers crossed).

Oh... and nice SS. Looks exactly like mine :)
Old 07-24-2009, 07:03 PM

I doubt they would replace a blown tranny. The GM stage kit will cover your tranny by warranty. And there are no installation issues with the Stage Kit, they have all been resolved.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 PM

Agree with him

Quick Reply: Superchips impressions