2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Superchips impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:47 AM

Day 2: My SS is scary fast sometimes now. A 2nd gear punch on a road that's not totally smooth results in serious torque-steer and a bit of wheelspin. I keep hitting the rev limiter in 2nd because I'm at redline before I know it.

I've had a bit of inconsistent power delivery, mostly in 3rd gear (haven't even tried full-throttle in 4th yet), where torque comes on very quick and then seems to stutter a bit. It's still very fast when I check the speedo but doesn't feel like it because max torque arrives early and then goes downhill a bit from there. It was quite hot when the car felt a bit slow in 3rd gear - I'm hoping that the ECU is still learning, because usually 3rd gear feels wickedly fast almost all the way to redline.

This car is a real handful around town at full-throttle now, and I really don't think I would want more power in a FWD car on the street.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:58 AM

Bah, I'm starting to get used to the power.

That, and it's been really hot here for the last 3 days so power is probably down anyhow. It still feels fast, just not scary fast
Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

my superchips tune has ran flawlessly since i added it. lots o fun
Old 07-31-2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
No comment at $200.00
I don't understand that statement in the context of this thread. What are you trying to say?

BTW, if you didn't want to make a comment, you probably shouldn't have hit the "Reply" button, typed that up, and then hit the "Submit Reply" button

Back on topic, it's just starting to cool down here today after a little heat wave and I'm hoping to get my tire-squealing torque back in 2nd gear. I hope it's just the heat, and not the ECU learning-down or something. I'm still seeing 20psi in 2nd and 22psi in 3rd, so the boost is definitely there...
Old 08-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
No comment at $200.00

Nothing gives you confidence in a vendor like one that conducts themselves in a immature and unprofessional manner lmao.

I guess he is just insecure about superchips, i guess that could be taken as a compliment for what superchips is doing

Back on topic,

now that some power is being put to the ground with the superchips tune, i think i may upgrade the tires. the stock tires are not the greatest, especially in the rain. i am not going to go hardcore summer only tires since the ss will never be what i consider fast but i will go with some nice performance all seasons.

this tune sure did wake up my car, it is acutually fun to drive lol. i am just itching for someone unsuspecting to try and race me. i am glad i do not have to worry about the issues i have read about with the trifecta tune. it seems a lot of the manual transmission guys are having a lot of clutch slipping issues with the trifecta tune. i also read that some are having problems with their tuner tools failing when they ship them out for people to install their tune with. that could potentially ruin your ecu/computer and disable your car. scary stuff!

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showt...ecta+nightmare

Last edited by 06AmethystHHR; 08-01-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 06AmethystHHR
Nothing gives you confidence in a vendor like one that conducts themselves in a immature and unprofessional manner lmao.

I guess he is just insecure about superchips, i guess that could be taken as a compliment for what superchips is doing

Back on topic,

now that some power is being put to the ground with the superchips tune, i think i may upgrade the tires. the stock tires are not the greatest, especially in the rain. i am not going to go hardcore summer only tires since the ss will never be what i consider fast but i will go with some nice performance all seasons.

this tune sure did wake up my car, it is acutually fun to drive lol. i am just itching for someone unsuspecting to try and race me. i am glad i do not have to worry about the issues i have read about with the trifecta tune. it seems a lot of the manual transmission guys are having a lot of clutch slipping issues with the trifecta tune. i also read that some are having problems with their tuner tools failing when they ship them out for people to install their tune with. that could potentially ruin your ecu/computer and disable your car. scary stuff!

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showt...ecta+nightmare
Just read your attachment, He tried to install, failed contacted Vince (on the weekend no less) install is complete cust happy. Try contacting your super chip people on the weekend, I don't know what your problem is but let it go, your happy with your tune but don't bash someone elses with out first hand use of that product, personally I'm installing Trifecta, one he's close, two the price is right and three he stands behind his product period.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 PM

I find it pretty funny that you would blame the Trifecta tune for a slipping clutch like it's a problem. What makes a clutch slip???

HP

If the clutch is slipping it's simply because the tune is making a more HP than a stock clutch can handle. So you either settle for lower HP and not worry about the clutch or you can make HP and maybe have to change a clutch. I know what I would choose if it were me.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
I find it pretty funny that you would blame the Trifecta tune for a slipping clutch like it's a problem. What makes a clutch slip???

HP

If the clutch is slipping it's simply because the tune is making a more HP than a stock clutch can handle. So you either settle for lower HP and not worry about the clutch or you can make HP and maybe have to change a clutch. I know what I would choose if it were me.
Actually, it's torque that makes clutches slip, not horsepower. And some tunes are making pretty obscene amounts of torque out of this little motor. Also, the way torque builds also affects clutch slippage. If there's a sudden spike to 350lb/ft, it's more likely to slip than a smooth transition over a slightly longer period of time.

The Superchips tune is a lot like the GM tune, a nice increase in torque (but within the limits of the stock clutch), and a more modest increase in horsepower. I'm really enjoying it.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 AM

Old coot with a HHR SS Stage 1 upgrade (Problem)

I am 79 years young and have a 2008 HHR SS Stage 1 that without ryhme or reason periodically cuts back to the safe mode. Max boost 5 lbs. The engine light does not come on. I have to pull over and shut the engine off for a minute or two and upon restarting it is back to the stage 1 programing. Whe I take it back to the dealer it checks out fine. This problem is driving me crazy. Does any one have any suggestions. Thanks. An old coot that loves the HHR SS Stage 1.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Programmer
Actually, it's torque that makes clutches slip, not horsepower.
Semantics

Yes you can get HP and not as much TQ but TQ is what really makes the car fast.

Blaming the tune for too much TQ causing the clutch to slip is nuts. I would gladly replace a OEM clutch with a stronger one if I was overpowering it with my tune.

Quick Reply: Superchips impressions