2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Superchips impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by dchris1918
I am 79 years young and have a 2008 HHR SS Stage 1 that without ryhme or reason periodically cuts back to the safe mode. Max boost 5 lbs. The engine light does not come on. I have to pull over and shut the engine off for a minute or two and upon restarting it is back to the stage 1 programing. Whe I take it back to the dealer it checks out fine. This problem is driving me crazy. Does any one have any suggestions. Thanks. An old coot that loves the HHR SS Stage 1.
I think I read a thread about the sensor hitting something when the engine torques.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
Semantics

Yes you can get HP and not as much TQ but TQ is what really makes the car fast.

Blaming the tune for too much TQ causing the clutch to slip is nuts. I would gladly replace a OEM clutch with a stronger one if I was overpowering it with my tune.
You can't blame a tune for making too much TQ - but some of us really don't want the expense of replacing a clutch so more conservative tunes like Superchips are just fine. I still get going way too fast for my own good sometimes :)
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by dchris1918
I am 79 years young and have a 2008 HHR SS Stage 1 that without ryhme or reason periodically cuts back to the safe mode. Max boost 5 lbs. The engine light does not come on. I have to pull over and shut the engine off for a minute or two and upon restarting it is back to the stage 1 programing. Whe I take it back to the dealer it checks out fine. This problem is driving me crazy. Does any one have any suggestions. Thanks. An old coot that loves the HHR SS Stage 1.
I hope I'm still zipping around in a funky fast car when I'm 79

The stage 1 kit is not entirely simple to install, especially for techs at a dealership that haven't installed one before, and some people have had problems with it. Simple things like bad wire splices or slightly mis-mounted parts can cause intermittent problems.

No matter what's actually wrong with your car, if it goes in to limp mode regularly, it's up to the dealership to fix it under warranty. If your current dealer can not diagnose the problem, I would try the next-closest dealership. Service quality varies widely between dealerships, unfortunately.

One of the reasons I went with the Superchips tune over the GM stage 1 is because the Superchips is less expensive to buy, free and simple to install, and so far completely trouble-free while providing a very noticeable power boost.

I would love a Trifecta tune, I must admit. More sophisticated tuning and more top-end power would be awesome but I'm worried about breaking stuff
Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 AM

I just about kept up with a E90 BMW 3-series turbo on the highway yesterday - we both gunned it at about 30mph and he pulled just over a car length by 100mph. The car was de-badged and only had a "Turbo" logo on the back and some tuner logos on the side that I couldn't read, I'm guessing it was an aftermarket turbo but it could have been a 335i. It looked very, very nice.

I pulled up beside him at the next light and gave him a thumbs-up. He leaned out the window and said "Holy **** that thing is quick, nice race!". I couldn't help thinking that with a more aggressive tune, I would have easily kept up with him. The need for speed is like a disease!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:26 AM

This is a bit like my personal blog with these forums being so slow-moving

Anyhow, I flashed back to stock today for an oil change at the dealership and the difference between Superchips and stock was... not huge, but still well worth it. The tune felt faster when I first installed it, and I think it learned down a little bit over time. Still, it's a very noticeable increase in mid-range torque over stock and it's definitely quicker overall. In some ways, the stock tune FEELS faster because it takes a while for the torque to build and you always feel like you're accelerating. With the Superchips tune, it pulls very hard almost instantly when you nail the throttle, and then the power levels out and drops a bit towards redline. Still, looking at the speedo after a few seconds (and often laughing) confirms just how fast this car is with a tune.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:33 AM

I just noticed that my user name (Programmer) kind of makes me sound like I might be a rep for Superchips or something. I'm actually a software developer (totally unrelated to cars) and spend a lot of time programming, so I call myself Programmer on a few forums. I'm only writing about the Superchips tune because it make my car so much more fun to drive
Old 08-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Wow with all these new threads still popping up with all the GM stage 1 issues still going on it makes me thrilled yet again to have went with the superchips tune lol.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:21 AM

Maybe that's because there are only 2 of you. If 1 screws up, that'll be 50% of the tunes screwwed up.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

lmao, someone is a little insecure!

Hey programmer, i checked with superchips about their mileage tune. i think that would be a nice option for these cars on long trips. of course though my mpg did go up with the performance tune which is great too
Old 08-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Someone thinks they have a better tune.

Quick Reply: Superchips impressions