2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Another K&N filter question (mileage?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:43 AM

Another K&N filter question (mileage?)

I have read mixed reviews on replacing the stock air filter with the K&N drop in replacement. Some say the increase air flow will cause more fuel to be burned during normal driving conditions. What are your experiences with fuel economy using the K&N drop in with the stock air box and stock exhaust? All agree there is a small increase in performance. Usually performance = less mpg, doesn't it?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Banned

I have a K&N filter in the stock intake with stock exhaust but on a 2.4. You won't see an increase in performance. If anything you might pick up like 1 HP but nothing you'll feel or notice. I gained about .5 - 1 MPG over the stock paper filter. IMO the only real benefit of the K&N filter other than the slight MPG gain is that you can clean and re-oil it rather than tossing it out and buying a new one.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 PM

I've dropped K&N filters in just about every vehicle and motorcycle I've owned. Too many to mention!
All have noticed a considerable improvement and most didn't even need a new filter.
The idea of getting better milage has to realized by your right foot.
If you are light with the throttle and don't play with the gas pedal you will get better results because you don't have to open the throttle as much to get the same amount of airflow as you had before the K&N.

Just like the old carb days when you push down on the accelerator the EEC tells the injectors to squirt more fuel.
The more the throttle opens the more fuel is increased.

So the whole trick is to try and not slam the pedal all the time.
Try it.... it works with any filter even.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:38 PM

I don't visit this section much, but....

Don't expect any gains in HP or mileage with a K&N element. Why?

First (note this is based on the 2.4 findings...) the factory filter is NOT restrictive! Testing involving logging air mass (how much air the engine is taking in) at various load & RPMs and manifold pressures (MAP), which will measure restriction, with HP Tuners software found that the factory intake (as UGLY as it may be!) is not restrictive. In fact, logging the same data for a short time with NO filter did not show any change. I've got data from the CGS on the HHR (not good!) and 2.4 Cobalts and Ions with the same engine with other intakes and have to conclude that GM did a good job here that's hard to improve upon.

The only advantage of the K&N for our engines would be if you want to save with cleaning and re-oiling vs. replacement. There's also a lot of controversy about filtering efficiency, and that comes down to what (micron) size particulates you experience in your area and what the filter's efficiency is under those conditions. That will vary.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM

All Bull****ing aside,I dropped a K&N in mine. Used to get about 32.5 Highway MPG now get 34-35.7 Highway MGP! I guess it is all based on how you drive. I also always use Premium gasoline!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM

Hey Joe, is that you from the Ranger sight?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by father57
All Bull****ing aside,I dropped a K&N in mine. Used to get about 32.5 Highway MPG now get 34-35.7 Highway MGP! I guess it is all based on how you drive. I also always use Premium gasoline!
BS aside.... It had to be your driving style, change of routes, weather or seasonal gas formulations. There ain't no way that a K&N filter will increase mileage here. Stop and think about it.... While cruising, the demand for air is much less than full power. The stock filter will provide more than enough air.

As for premium gas in the 2.2, if no gains in power or mileage make you fee better, go for it!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 007panel
Hey Joe, is that you from the Ranger sight?
Nope..... I'm on some other more technical sites under different names though.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:26 PM

I don't like the idea of having the intake air pass through something laden with oil before the intake air arrives at my Mass Air Flow sensor, but this is a old debate I don't want to re-ignite.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I don't like the idea of having the intake air pass through something laden with oil before the intake air arrives at my Mass Air Flow sensor, but this is a old debate I don't want to re-ignite.
Non of my K&N's have been dripping with oil.
I guess if you clean and re-oil the heck out of it then you could have a problem.
Also good thing to do is place the filter on a sheet of paper when reoiling and don't over do the oil.

Quick Reply: Another K&N filter question (mileage?)