2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Curious....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
Just great!!

Dory loves 50 degree mornings!
That's a heat wave up here in Feburary and 3 foot of snow.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=Wodinator;213933] Guess I'll have to keep some sandbags back there, hell if I get stuck, the sand itself can be used for traction...QUOTE]

That reminds me of the story about the tow truck driver who went out to tow a car stuck in a snow bank. When he got there, the driver had dumped tons of sand and had shoveled out the rear wheels. The tow truck driver asked why they had put the sand under the rear wheels as it was a front wheel drive car and the car driver replied that the front tires where turning just fine it was the back tires that weren’t moving and stuck.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wodinator
WOW! thanks for all the input. I've never been a fan of "driving it like you stole it", so I should be OK. I was most curious about the light rear end (wish I had that problem ) Guess I'll have to keep some sandbags back there, hell if I get stuck, the sand itself can be used for traction...

Thanks for the quick replies.

-Lorraine, mother of "Chops"
Instead of weight all the way in the back, you would be better off adding it to the rear seat area. Right where you would put your feet looks like it would hold a bag or two a side without an issue.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

Being a front wheel drive vehicle if you put sandbags in the back you are just going make your ass end slide around more than it already does. Not to mention creating a safety issue being an open vehicle with pretty much nothing to stop the sandbags from slamming into you in the case of a front end collision. The idea is to put the weight over your drive wheel which is impossible on a FWD unless you want to mound sand bags on top your engine and tranny. Sandbags are only useful on a RWD. IMO the HHR handles just like any other light FWD in the snow....like crap.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by enri9267
That's a heat wave up here in Feburary and 3 foot of snow.
Amen to that.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wodinator
This question is for you seasoned HHR owners. How well does the HHR handle in wintery conditions?
****ty......The OEM Firestone 16" absolutely suck in adverse weather....That means Chicago....I live in the exact weather you do and trust me when I tell you.... be cautious. I work midnights so I'm usually in the worst conditions possible....no traffic, no plows, no salt, no nothing (usually) when it's bad.....My daily commute is 106 miles round trip each day plus whatever else is on my driving agenda.... so at over 3000 miles per month (including winter months) I feel I'm more than quailified to make this determination......To add to my qualifications, I also sold tires for over 10 years, so I've had plenty of access to driving on a variety of different tires...... so believe me when I tell you they suck in less than perfect weather.....

SEE THIS THREAD ALSO...........

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/handling-snow-9100/
Old 11-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Wonder if anyone makes snow tires that would fit the HHR? Years ago, when I lived in upstate New York, I always put snow tires on my cars which were all RWDs. Seems they might help on a FWD vehicle, if available. Don't hear much about snow tires since moving to the Phoenix Metro area!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
Wonder if anyone makes snow tires that would fit the HHR? Years ago, when I lived in upstate New York, I always put snow tires on my cars which were all RWDs. Seems they might help on a FWD vehicle, if available. Don't hear much about snow tires since moving to the Phoenix Metro area!
They sure do......I've got a set on mine, and there are many others that do also.....Check that other thread I listed in my previous post...Regards
Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 PM

So far -12c is the coldest my 07 has seen, and with the continental winter viking 3's, the ice and snow have been no problem. wait til -40c come in January.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:47 AM

The engine hold the front drive wheels to the road. It's us with rear wheel pickup trucks that carry weight in the back to give it traction.
Wife has been driving front wheel drive vehicles since 1981 and never had trouble in snow and we are in the "snow belt of N.E. Ohio".

Last edited by an08HHR; 12-01-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Curious....