2.4 Tech write up

Thought I would share this here found it in my web travels

http://www.media.gm.com/us/powertrai...tec/08_LE5.doc

2008 Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT ( LE5 )
ECOTEC 2.4L I4 VVT (LE5) CAR AND TRUCK ENGINE
2008 Model Year Summary

· New Applications in 2008: Chevrolet Malibu (New Body ), Saturn Aura and VUE

New Applications in 2008 Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn Aura and VUE
The Ecotec 2.4L VVT powers the new Chevrolet Malibu sedan and initially begins the model year mated with the Hydra-Matic 4T45 (MN5) four speed FWD automatic transmission and then midway through the model year is mated to the new Hydra-Matic 6T40 (MH8) six-speed FWD automatic transmission. The Saturn Aura is also a new application for 2008 model year and is equipped with the 4T45 (MN5) transmission. Carryover applications which use the Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT ( LE5 ) include: Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5, G6, all mated to the 4T45 (MN5) transmission, and an available Getrag F23 (M86) five-speed manual transmission available on the Cobalt and G5. The Pontiac Solstice, and Saturn Sky, use the Hydra-Matic 5L40 (M82) five-speed automatic RWD transmission or the Aisin AR5 five-speed manual transmission. In the Truck Portfolio, the Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT (LE5) is a new application for the new design Saturn VUE, and along with the Chevrolet HHR Passenger and Panel vans, use the the 4T45 (MN5 ) four-speed FWD automatic transmission. .

Carryover Features and Benefits from 2007 model year

Optimized Piston Skirt
Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT pistons have been redesigned with a slightly different profile. The piston skirt has been optimized with a slight barrel shape, helping to smooth its glide through the cylinder bore and reduce lateral movement. The new pistons reduce operational noise, particularly during cold starts, and enhance overall smoothness.

Vented Starter Solenoid
A new starter solenoid helps ensure starting performance in extreme cold temperatures. The solenoid case now has a micromesh-covered vent and an O-ring between the case and the starter motor. The mesh protects the solenoid from debris particles but prevents moisture buildup in the case. When the Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT is warm, any moisture on the solenoid evaporates through the vent. The vented solenoid virtually eliminates the possibility of cold-start problems associated with solenoid icing.

Eliminate External Oil Cooler
The Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT is no longer fitted with an external oil cooler. Validation tests have demonstrated that, with durability enhancing features such as increased coolant capacity and targeted oil jets that cool the underside of the pistons, the oil cooler is not required even during extreme operating conditions. Deleting the cooler eliminates a potential leak source and reduces complexity and cost of ownership.

Overview

The 2.4L VVT was the third North American engine in GM Powertrain’s innovative line of Ecotec four-cylinders, and the largest displacement Ecotec to date. It was introduced for model year 2006 in several cars and trucks, including the Chevrolet HHR, Chevrolet Cobalt, Saturn ION, Pontiac G6 and Pontiac Solstice.

The 2.4L VVT’s roots date to 2000 and launch of the Ecotec 2.2L (RPO L61). Often referred to as the global four cylinders, the Ecotecs harness Powertrain’s global design and engineering capability by applying the best practices of technical centers in Europe and North America. The Ecotec 2.2L created a blueprint for subsequent global powertrain development, and such engines as Powertrain’s global V-6 VVT. It also laid the foundation for a line of engines that share core components with minimal casting changes, yet deliver unique performance and market characteristics with a range of displacements, turbocharging, supercharging and front-, rear- and all-wheel drive applications in both cars and trucks.

Displacement in the Ecotec 2.4L VVT was increased to 2,384 cubic centimeters by increasing bore and stroke to 88 mm and 98 mm, respectively, compared to 86 mm and 94.6 mm in the Ecotec 2.2L. The 2.4L VVT introduced a Gen II engine block that strengthened the block bulkheads to improve both durability and vibration control, without significantly increasing mass. The 2.4L VVT uses forged C70 steel connecting rods that are shorter than those in the 2.2L with a stroked cast nodular iron crankshaft. The 2.4L increases horsepower at least 20 percent compared to all 2.2L applications, yet it is only 13.2 pounds heavier than the 2.2L (which is the lightest four-cylinder GM has produced, and one of the most compact anywhere).

The 2.4L also introduced cam phasing to the Ecotec line in North America. Cam phasing changes the timing of valve operation as conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. It allows an outstanding balance of smooth torque delivery over a broad rpm range, higher specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) and lower specific fuel consumption. Cam phasing also provides another effective tool for controlling exhaust emissions.

Like all Ecotec engines, the 2.4L VVT has undergone the toughest and most comprehensive validation process in GM history, passing all of the dynamometer and vehicle tests traditionally run by various GM organizations worldwide. Validation included extensive dynamometer testing and millions of miles of real-world road testing in an extreme range of climates, and most recently, since the Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT ( LE5 ) has now been added to our marine engine portfolio for 2008, the engine has completed the 300 hour Global Engine Durability (GED), test as a requirement to release a product to our outside sales marine customers.

The 2.4L VVT features durability enhancements and technology familiar in premium V-type engines, including low-friction hydraulic roller finger valve operation and electronic “drive-by-wire” throttle in all applications. A hydraulic tensioner keeps the timing chain adjusted for life, and extended-life spark plugs deliver 100,000 miles of service. Routine maintenance is limited to oil and filter changes, and even those are made as easy as possible with a paper filter replacement cartridge and GM’s industry-leading Oil Life Monitoring System, which determines oil-change intervals according to real-world operation rather than a predetermined mileage interval. Every engine in the Ecotec line has aluminum-intensive construction and:

• Dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) with four valves per cylinder
• Twin counter-rotating balance shafts to cancel the second-order vibration typical in four-cylinder inline engines
• Direct mounting of accessories like the alternator and compressor to eliminate common sources of noise, vibration and harshness
• Full circle transmission attachment and a structural oil
pan that bolts to both the engine block and transmission
bell housing.

For all its design and production efficiencies and multitude of applications, the Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT succeeds for one reason. It’s a world-class four cylinder engine that delivers excellent performance without sacrificing durability, economy or smooth, quiet operation.

The Ecotec 2.4L VVT is built at GM Powertrain’s Spring Hill, Tenn., Engine Manufacturing facility.

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 03-17-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the posting.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Thumbs up woohoo!!!

if only the rest of the car had this type of engineering.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Only thing is the engine discussed in the above write-up is not the engine used in HHRs.

The two-four in the HHR is at:
http://www.media.gm.com/us/powertrai...c/09_LE9_n.doc

The major difference is that the LE9 is flexfuel-capable and can run on any mix of E85 and conventional pump gas.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:32 AM

Not according to the last line of the first paragraph.

In the Truck Portfolio, the Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT (LE5) is a new application for the new design Saturn VUE, and along with the Chevrolet HHR Passenger and Panel vans, use the the 4T45 (MN5 ) four-speed FWD automatic transmission. .
Old 04-09-2009, 05:32 PM

that is way cool.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Only thing is the engine discussed in the above write-up is not the engine used in HHRs.
LE5 is the 2006-2008 2.4L

LE9 is the 2009 2.4L with flexfuel
Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
LE5 is the 2006-2008 2.4L

LE9 is the 2009 2.4L with flexfuel

Same basic engine just updated fuel system??
Old 04-10-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
Not according to the last line of the first paragraph.

In the Truck Portfolio, the Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT (LE5) is a new application for the new design Saturn VUE, and along with the Chevrolet HHR Passenger and Panel vans, use the the 4T45 (MN5 ) four-speed FWD automatic transmission. .
Yeah it does say that but on the GM Powertrain media site the LE5 is not listed for the HHR in MY09

But, it doesn't surprise me that the media info is confusing. Understand how GM Communications has been decimated by budget cuts, head count reductions and you'll see that maybe the accuracy of posted information is affected.

I do know for 09, the engine is flex-fuel and that demands a number of changes in the fuel system and the calibration. Thus, there's a different engine.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
Same basic engine just updated fuel system??
There are a few more differences as well ,valve material and fuel detection stuff. I imagine it has a dual or even triple PCM sorta like the LE5 has for low octane vs. high octane. Different timing and fuel tables.

Quick Reply: 2.4 Tech write up