2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Back to stock intake. Bye bye CGs.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM

After reading the recent post about power increases I would be selling them both too!

It is a long thread but well worth reading if you want more truth than sales fluff about intakes and exhaust.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...power+increase
Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 AM

I've never like the setup for the CSG and only heard a clip of the IMCO. They clip sounded too much like a "ricer" IMO. I'll keep mine stock and drop a K&N replacement in it when it's due a filter. With just the intake and a muffler swap, you will not see any performance differance. Your SOTP dyno is only your mind saying your car runs faster. I did all the mods on my last truck, ran great, but I never put it to the pace for what was done (K&N FIPKII, TB spacer, electric fan conversion, SS headers, full duals, Jacobs Pro Street igition, Taylor wires, Wait4Me custom tuned PCM). All that was good for about 50-60hp. So those that think they got 30hp for a intake and muffler, I always had to laugh.

They also will not increase your mileage.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:59 AM

Sucking the air from under the hood turned me off, I went with the K&N, and really glad I did. I have pictures in gallery.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Honestly, if I didn't care for looks at all, I'm thinking the bast option is the oem set-up with a K&N filter. Breathes much better, ~$40 for the filter, and it's already getting the freshest air available.
Yep.. That is probably what I'll end up doing.... Unless I do a cowl induction hood
Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
I've never like the setup for the CSG and only heard a clip of the IMCO. They clip sounded too much like a "ricer" IMO. I'll keep mine stock and drop a K&N replacement in it when it's due a filter. With just the intake and a muffler swap, you will not see any performance differance. Your SOTP dyno is only your mind saying your car runs faster. I did all the mods on my last truck, ran great, but I never put it to the pace for what was done (K&N FIPKII, TB spacer, electric fan conversion, SS headers, full duals, Jacobs Pro Street igition, Taylor wires, Wait4Me custom tuned PCM). All that was good for about 50-60hp. So those that think they got 30hp for a intake and muffler, I always had to laugh.

They also will not increase your mileage.

I've not seen anyone from around these parts claim 30 HP form the muffler and intake alone. More like 2-8HP depending upon who's saying what.

All I know is I tired of the sound of the muffler and the fit of of the CGS in my car. I DID chirp the tires a LOT more with the muffler/CGS combo.

The car back at stock, does not chirp the tires nearly as easily. That alone tells me it is not all the snake oil so many claim. It is neither the cure all for HP increase that you claim some other folks say it is.

The set up is louder than stock. That alone is what some people want. I did not. My MPG on the highway really did get a bit better, take my word on that one. But the combo is no cure all to end all. .
I'd like to hear from anyone who had a custom tune to a stock HHR. I'm interested in making the car more fuel efficient and that is all in the performance dept.

I'm a weird one I guess. The main reason I would look into an HHR SS is because of the better handling and braking. Those are safety issues and that is what I would pursue there. Extra HP is lower down on my list of things that need fixin' in the HHR. Fuel economy and handling come first. Heck the car stock looks better than most others on the road or we wouldn't be driving them, would we?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:55 AM

If you even gained 10 horse power from that joke of an intake and a cat back muffler I would be completely amazed. But I could see 40 hp measured on the butt dyno.. :p If anything you might have free'd up a little breathing space up top from the intake. (think 3 hp at redline)

I see a weird trend around here about getting better MPG with the intake etc. This is incorrect , the whole idea of having the intake is to get a colder charge of air into the engine. We all know cold air is more dense so that means you're intaking more air. This engine compensates for this by adding MORE fuel , you do the math. I'm not saying the stock intake/exhaust is not restrictive because I don't really know/care but the horsepower/dollar ratio for these mods is far below my "worth it" level. I will stick to tuning my sports car not my daily driver HHR. (and I don't really have any complaints about the 2.4)