2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

do we have LSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Some people don't like ABS for some reason; like my mom.
Add me to that list, I have never been a fan.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by moose-e-man
I looked for a throttle control cable. Can't find one. May be we have "Fly by wire", just like the Vettes. I found a control box (pot) down stream of the MAF. Very Interesting.
Yes; the HHR has "Drive by Wire" throttle control and electric assist power steering (no PS pump, lines. fluid. etc.). Less weight, less fluids, less horsepower drag.

How's that for cutting edge technology on an under $20k-base car?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:33 PM
BBA

Originally Posted by cvrogershhr
Not wanting to be a smart allac, but I've never heard of Limited Slip Differential in a front wheel drive transaxle. I've worked on them, and have to say that if they were on these, would be very difficult to turn corners if engaged. Just my They do have a traction control option for some front wheel drive cars, that is controlled by the computer, but not on the HHR.
One of the few FWD cars I've driven with an LSD was a MazdaSpeed Protege. Turning, for the most part, wasn't too bad. Accelerating while turning was a different story. If you don't have a good grip on the steering wheel the car will go straight. I didn't really care for it much. It's great for drag racing, though. I knew a lot of people with FWD cars that were really into drag racing and would install either a Quaife LSD or go the cheaper route and install a Phantom Grip. I knew of a few people that had modified Ford Probes (either boosted or well-built NA) that broke axles running the stock open differential on drag radials. The LSD delivers power evenly to both sides, which alleviated their axle-breaking problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:22 PM

LSD is on the G85 package with Cobalts SS/SC. Not on HHR's as said above. Our traction control limits a lot of things like throttle position, maybe ABS.... I myself am NOT a fan of ABS and can tell you why whether you want to hear it or not. Did a lot of SCCA style road races with my Prelude. It was a 95 with the 2.2 DOHC VTEC engine. Highperformance and VEWRY loaded for the model it was. When on a road course the ABS would come on too soon and not allow be to trail brake as easy (for those that this sounds weird.. it allows the rear end to come around easier on a front wheel drive car making turns faster and not making the front end push as much). The ABS would cut in too early and make these kinds of moves very difficult. We spent some time disabling my ABS. ABS also amounts to longer stopping distances but allows inexperienced drivers control over their car when usually it would skid. This is why a LOT of cars come with this system. Too many diving public don't know that you CANNOT steer when your tires are locked up and sliding. I actually prefer NOT to have the ABS system on the HHR too. Even though I don't do anymore high speed cornering. Not sure why mom doesn't like it though. Maybe that old adage of "one more thing to break" that can cost a pretty penny to fix!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 AM

I do have to apologize for the traction control comment, yes mine has it too, at least it says no traction control when I set the Parking brake. After reading about it yes they do come on the Auto and ABS system. I think the computer controls which wheel pulls in a low traction situation. As far as Limit Slip Differential, I had that in my 85 Monte SS, my 99 Astro, and when the differential locks as it is designed, you go straight in a rear drive car if you are pushing it. I had a van that would lock up at times and not go around a corner without the read end pushing the front end straight a scary situation. The lube in these type differentials is of a special type to allow the clutches to slip when going around a turn.
Anyway, LSD(Limited Slip Diferential)? no, the HHR doesn't have one. Traction Control?.. Yes, because mine is supposed to have it, it's a loaded 2LT. And yea, we're Fly By Wire......wow.
ABS?... my opinion is it is great if you know what to expect when you use it. Some people get into trouble because of the strange things it does when you hit the brakes hard. The only thing I see bad about it, when it goes bad, sometimes it can get expensive to repair, the control and box are not cheap when out of warranty.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
OK...I'm a blonde...and a female, I'll bite. What is LSD...besides a hallucenigen (sp?)?

LSD Stands for Lake Shore Drive (in Chicago)
Old 11-10-2006, 11:51 AM

LSD? No thanks. I never touch the stuff.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by trey1966
There is a difference between and LSD and a Locker type diff. A locker will make turning corners hard because the whole axel is solid for better straight line performance. It will chirp the outside tire on turns due to the fact the inside tire doesn’t turn at the same rate. They don’t put these on production car at all, it racing only thing.
LSD on the other hand has clutch packs and lets each side slip in turns to avoid this. When in a straight line though, the clutches will lock up and act like a locker would. They put these on higher performance production cars all the time.
There is no LSD option for the HHR. Though you might be able to find one that would work on your differential, it would be a very expensive ordeal to make it happen.
The following website was found by using GOOGLE.
http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm
Some of that is true, i think your getting the locker setup mixed up with a spool. Which is kinda what you were saying, it just lets both wheels spin all the time no matter what. And as for the lsd, i dont think its so much as a clutch pack, but more less letting the spider gears move and what not...