2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

FlowMaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by laborkei
Big Kahuna,

The Flomaster 40?

I have a Flomaster 50 on my GMC Yukon, and it gives a nice rumble, but does not take away from stereo listening. Not sure if you are familiar with that model. How's the 40? You have my curiosity... Is it loud enough to be a distraction, or would a 50 be better.

Thanks,
Keith
I love my Flowmaster 40 more and more everyday...

Bit of a inside cabin drone at lower rpm when you first get on it but really impressed by the sound inside and out (including a few of my motorhead neighbors who said that is one of the best 4 bangers they have ever heard)... It's sure not a "fart pipe - bumble bee" sound that you hear on many tuners...

I can still hear my stereo fine but can also definitely hear the low rumble. I tend to crank up the tunes a bit...

I am really surprised how easily it now seems to want to bark the tires from a stop and I'm not even trying to get on it... also have the CGS intake installed under the hood... I assume the straight flow design of the muffler contributes to the increased hp feeling...

I'm not too worried about the mpg's but the new set up keeps it hard from not getting on the trottle a bit heavier...

I just went with the Flowmaster 40 and had the original upgrade factory 2LT chucky chrome exhaust welded back on.

Definitly recommend it for a new hotrod feel and sound for the HHR...

Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM

I took a visit to my local Muffler Shop.
He took at look at my 07, and he says the Flomaster 40 and 50 won't fit on my vehicle.

Anyone here have a Flomaster installed on a 07, 2.4L, and do you know the part number by chance.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by laborkei
I took a visit to my local Muffler Shop.
He took at look at my 07, and he says the Flomaster 40 and 50 won't fit on my vehicle.

Anyone here have a Flomaster installed on a 07, 2.4L, and do you know the part number by chance.
Mine is a 2006 2.4 LT2. Installation was quite simple and only took 10 to 15 minutes. A bit of welding magic to line up the muffler exit pipe with the facia cut out, welded the HHR chrome tip on and bingo.

The Flowmaster 40 even looks smaller than the stock "TURTLE" muffler that came from the factory.

PERFECT FIT!!!

Last edited by Big Kahuna; 08-03-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM

i also have a 2006 2.4 LT2. no problem with anything. only took 20 minutes.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 PM

Any chance of getting someone to make a video or sound clip with a Flowmaster muffler? I'm very picky about how a four cylinder sounds. I hava a Gibson muffler on my S-10 with dual exhaust, and it sounds really good. The muffler is a straight though design though.

I've heard 4 cylinder S-10's with Flowmaster mufflers and didn't like the sound at all. So I need a bit more evidence, as far as the sound.

Last edited by 1Panel2NV; 08-06-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Not sure if the sound would be different, but Flowmaster has sound clips on there website. The 40 sounds real nice...
I think I am going to order the part and my local muffler shop said he would install it. He does not stock the stainless.

Say Kahuna do you happen to know the Flowmaster part number you have installed? or the size pipe if I were to order one.

The only thing I have been able to find is this Cat-Back systems on the HHR Vendor sites.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 PM

I am following this thread with baited breath. Am really interested in some sound bites.

Another topic within this topic is that some gas is actually better than others. I have mostly heard that this is untrue. Can someone point me in the direction of something other than opinion? I want to do right by my surfer girl.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Can you guys who have a Flowmaster installed verify that this is the right part number. Please go to this link, and post an update... or send me a message. Thanks, Keith
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3381

I want to order one, but don't want to get the wrong thing.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM

Follow up conversation with Flowmaster, and Magnaflow today.

Guys, I placed my order today for the Magnaflow. Yes, not Flowmaster...

I called Flowmaster, and those folks were very nice, and they actually talked me into going with the Mangnaflow. The said, sure the 40 will fit, but it's just not designed for that vehicle. They said the 50 would be a better choice if it would fit. I was concerned about the 40 being too loud, and they agreed, it would be very noticeable both inside and outside. I know what you guys said, but I didn't want to impact the joy of my stereo, and I don't play mine loud. They said the Magnaflow Cat-Back system is the best solution at this time. They may come out with something in the future, but to buy now, that is the best route to take.

I called Magnaflow and talked to them, and they answered all my questions, and I placed my order with one of there dealers. I made my purchase at www.Fle-Online.com for $461.00 delivered which was $100 less then purchasing direct from Magnaflow.

I called my local mechanic, and he said he was glad I went with this system, and the charge to install would be under $100.00. I will be back to post some results in a few weeks.

Thanks again for all who answered my questions.
Keith
Old 08-07-2007, 02:55 PM

I didn't see in this thread , after intake, and muffler replacement , any ECM reflash.. Possible you now need the A/F , (Air Fuel) adjusted because of the upgrades..

Quick Reply: FlowMaster