2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Gibson exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:48 PM

Unhappy Gibson exhaust

O.K., here's the skinny on the Gibson Stainless exhaust for the HHR! I recently got the deal of deals on a stainless exhaust system for my HHR. I "procured" the exhaust fom a connection from a local auto parts store, and bit the big one to buy it!! I ordered the gibson cat-back exhaust, and installed it in 2 weekends!! why 2,you say?!! Because the d**n thing was not a "bolt-in fit!!" .For the money, I should not have had to cut 1in. off the intermediate pipe between the resonator and the muffler to get the system to fit!! we're talking an inch off both ends to get the hangers to align on the system!! I followed the instructions to a "t" and still had major rattles, and un-satasfaction!!! i then re-aligned all the pipes to the visual alignment I felt was right, which necessatated the cutting of one,to one and a half inches off each end of an intermedaite pipe!! The end result was excellent, and the sound at idle and full-throttle is awesome, but the hassle was not worth the $488.00, when the directions are so crappy!! I would recommend the system to anyone who is interested in additional performance and mileage,but THROW THE DIRECTIONS AWAY,AND FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF!!!!! I am a seasoned streetrodder, and have come to expect this type of half-a**ed-directions from a fly-by-nite manufacturer, but not from a major supplier!! There were even words omitted in the instructions on how and what to remove from your stock system!! If your reading Mr Gibson, FIRE YOUR PROOFREADER NOW!!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:56 PM

Gibson made a mistake on the kit. It was actually a 2.2L kit that was released - NOT a 2.4L kit. They are test fitting my car next week to re-design the kit to fit the 2.4L engine. Things like this often happen with a first-year model vehicle.

Sorry to hear of your problems. We had sold several systems to 2.4L owners before being made aware of the problem by Gibson. None of those owners ever complained about fitment as most had the system installed at muffler shops. That could explain why it took so long for Gibson to discover the problem.

Unfortunatley, the "aftermarket automotive" industry has changed for the worse as of late. We can only hope it gets better.

BTW- you got a $650 Stainless exhaust for just a bit more than the Aluminized version costs!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 PM

well that explains why mine doesnt lineup .... and rattles on the axle...I am operating from memory now and of course you did the mod but I am going to ask you a question. I am thinking the front end (toward resonator) of the intermediate pipe was swagged and the rear end normal since the muffler pipe is swagged, so to move the pipe "forward", which I assumed you had to do , since that is what mine is like now (too far to the rear) you would have to cut some of the resonator pipe off so the swagged end of the intermediate pipe could move forward further??? then cutting off the rear wil let the muffler assembly move forward.....
As an aside I wonder if Gibson will do right and send us a correct intermediate pipe....
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 PM

I have only sold a few of the Gibson systems and all have been out-of-state, so I can't help you with the install part from "memory." Also, I don't have one on my personal ride - too loud for me. I actually prefer the sound of the IMCO setup and don't want to change. Everyone has their preference.

"As an aside I wonder if Gibson will do right and send us a correct intermediate pipe...."

No company will do that nowadays - unless YOU the consimer contact them and complain about it. Give them about a month, as they will still be finalizing the parts for the new kit until then.

Hope it helps,
Old 06-12-2006, 10:25 PM

I've had the Gibson Stainless catback for about 5 months now, and I can tell you the sounds only gets better with age! The guys did contact me to apologize about the snafu, and hinted (hinted!) that they will supply us concerned 2.4 folks with the correct(ed) parts. I'm looking forward to the results of their research.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 AM

Gibson

Hi, I installed mine about 3 months ago. I have the 2.4 and also had some problems fitting the pieces together. I love how it sounds, but somehow it seems to be too low to the ground.

Traketo
Old 06-13-2006, 10:22 AM

I spoke with Gibson Customer Service/Tech Support today, they are obtaining a 2.4 HHR this week to test , and should have results in a week, the guy took my name and number and said Gibson will make it right with us.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:33 PM

I had to cut@1.57 in off the pipe end on the rear of the resonator, so it would slide far enough on the resonator, and cut@ the same amount off the other end of the pipe that slides into the pipe that goes over the rearend so it would not bang on the hanger foreward of the muffler. and then I still had to put the rubber hanger on top of the rib on the hanger( past where it should reside) to get a rattle free system. the pipefrom the resonator also has to be twisted "just-so" to get proper ground clearance also. And, yeah, I know I stole the stainless system at that cost, but,... I guess even an 'ol dog gets a big break once and awhile!! I finally do enjoy the system, and now are quite pleased with it, but I have my own lift to mess with it!! It would have been a real pain in the BUTT to do on the garage floor!!! (my HHR is a 2lt/2.4 5spd.,daytona Blue,leather,sunroof version)
Old 06-15-2006, 06:36 PM

and where can I score the chevrolet sticker logo for my grille like the 47-8 logo?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 PM

For the genuine reproduction article, go to http://www.fillingstation.com/ and check out the decals and emblems area. For a less expensive but just a nice looking repro, check this out: https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/sho...c=3&userid=340.

Got is on ebay, also got these from the same guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry for the hijack....search wasn't working

Quick Reply: Gibson exhaust