2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Gibson Update???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 07:21 AM

Gibson Update???

If I recall correctly, SoCal was to take his ride in for a (2.4L) fitment of a Gibson Cat-Back sometime in the recent past. Unsure if this happened and not sure if there were any type of performace figures to be released as well, but, curious of any update to this saga. I also remember a thread mentioning Gibson thinks the cat-back should produce approx. a 7-8hp increase... any justice to these figures? Not trying to get into the whole 'dyno war' again ... just curious what came of it- if anything.
Also- I know the early production cat-back's have SEVERE fitment (or lack thereof ) issues. Any idea when then next (correct fit) piece will on the shelves?
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:13 AM

7-8 hp would be nice.

I'd like to see what RPM it finds that.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:52 AM

When I spoke to a tech at Gibson a few weeks ago he confirmed there were issues with the fit for a 2.4 and was supposidlythey were going to have a 2.4 to test the fit on and make the mods necessary. he took my name and number and was going to call me when all was done .. haven't heard from them as of this morning so still up in the air
Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by joesblackhhr
... was supposidlythey were going to have a 2.4 to test the fit on and make the mods necessary.
yEP...THINK THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE sOcALS RIDE...not sure
Old 07-08-2006, 01:01 AM

Sorry I missed this earlier. I had too many irons in the fire when Gibson called, they wanted my HHR for 3 days, and we were prototyping some new parts during that time so I had to cancel my appointment. They told me they had another guy "waiting in the wings" and they were going to call him in. That was a couple weeks ago, so I'd imagine they got it handled.

To be very honest, I like the sound and performance of my IMCO turbo so much, I don't want to change anything regarding my exhaust.

For me (if you knew me), - that's saying a lot.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:28 AM

I'm with Mike on that one. I feel like this exhaust and intake work well together, I wouldn't change mine at all. Seems like it's really dialed in!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the update Mike... just wondering if anyone's heard anything. Too hard to hold out for the Gibson... especially with all everyone raving about the IMCO discovery! Guess it's cheap enough to give it a shot...

Thanks again
Old 07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

This also has me wondering.....

If the Gibson, or for that matter any other "cat-back" system, is "cat-back" does that eliminate the resonator? And if so, wouldn't the majority of HP come from this elimination? Just wondering about doing a custom system from a performance exhaust shop here and eliminating the resonator, doing a "y", splitting the pipes, installing dual mufflers and steel heat shields and approved heat shield wrap material.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:06 PM

From a performance and racing standpoint, 4-cylinder engines do better with a 4 > 1 exhaust system. The increased back pressure and cylinder timing improves cylinder scavenging, increasing both exhaust flow and providing a fresher intake charge (due to more thorough cylinder scavenging).

Duals are great for looks, and we may offer a kit eventually, but for pure performance, stay with a single please!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=Snoopy]This also has me wondering.....
wouldn't the majority of HP come from this elimination? QUOTE]

Yep... EXACTLY! Google 'test pipe'... which does this exact thing! On a previous ride I had ('95 Probe GT)- it was a hard-core MUST DO for those budget minded individuals.
Check it out... it's just a piece of pipe, cut to an exact length and flanged (for mounting purposes) to fit in that area. BEWARE - the pitfall is a louder sound (), and with the HHR's spacious cabin that probabally equates to significant drone. Although flow (performance) is generally nothing but net gain.

Quick Reply: Gibson Update???