2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

HHR Performance Module +25HP Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Banned

I don't quite know about that. I did allot to my Mustang and I was still able to pass emissions testing. Most vehicles aren't tuned for performance just because most drivers don't care about it. The average person just wants to get from point a to point b with good gas milage. I'm sure Chevy could have got better performance out of our engine but they figured if you cared about performance you would have bought a Vette. There is plenty of horsepower to be squeezed out of the HHR.

Last edited by captain howdy; 11-28-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:30 PM

Very true CH. Actually that module might squeeze a few more ponies than you guys think; what it contains is a 2500uf resistor which installs between the computer and the ECU on the throttle body.

Typically, all factory engines (excepy perhaps 'Vette's!), are tuned extremely "lean" for peak efficiency and fuel economy. The resistor tells the computer that the mixture is 25% leaner - causing it to increase fuel in the mix. With today's computer controlled ignition systems everything is compensated for (timing, etc.), and the result is more power. Generally the mpg decrease after these types of mods is only 1-2%.

I bought one of the modules when they first hit the market and it is sitting on the workbench right now. We've tested it (electronically), and are waiting to install it later. Should work - unfortunately, we are prototyping several aftermarket parts (intakes & exhausts), for different manufactuers, and each one wants a "stock" vehicle.

After we get these performance items fabbed and finalized, we can then explore whether the "little black box" improves things or not....(I'm in no rush!). I'll post after we get to that point and have some concrete results.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:59 PM

Not water injection for turbos. There was an apparatus that you installed in your fuel line that injected a fine mist of water that allegedly mixed with your gasoline as it entered the carb and caused you to use less gas and to make your vehicle run smoother. One of the 'proofs' cited in their advertising was how your car started easier and ran smoother on rainy days because of more ambient water in the air. Their device was supposed to duplicate this condition.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

I guess every little bit helps. Thanks for the explanation SoCal because I couldn't figure out how it worked.

Last edited by captain howdy; 11-28-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GeeMac
Not water injection for turbos. There was an apparatus that you installed in your fuel line that injected a fine mist of water that allegedly mixed with your gasoline as it entered the carb and caused you to use less gas and to make your vehicle run smoother. One of the 'proofs' cited in their advertising was how your car started easier and ran smoother on rainy days because of more ambient water in the air. Their device was supposed to duplicate this condition.
Huh, I never heard of them. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:45 AM

I just checked out e bay could it be rerally true?? The module for 20$??
Old 11-29-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by parky
Manufacturers put a lot of time and effort to put out their vehicles in as good a as mileage and operating condition. Don't you think that if there was a way to cheaply increase mileage or power, the manufacturer would do it?
Manufacturers also spend a lot of time and effort de-tuning engines. Have you ever seen the air intake system on a late model Suburban or full-size pickup? The air box is fed through a 2"x4" hole into the space between the engine compartment and the RF fender. That air space is fed fresh air through the crack 3/16"x3" crack between the right blinker and the fender. After it enters the airbox, it goes through a restrictive screen in the MAF sensor (pressure drop that chokes the engine) and then winds its way through this maze of plastic to the intake manifold (another useless pressure drop).

I ordered a $40 universal fit K&N filter and piped fresh air to the filter under the hood from the lower air dam by the fog lights. Left the MAF sensor screen and the plastic maze for now.

Huge MPG increase. Same driving conditons before and after - highway only. MPG went from 16.1 to 18.4+ on a repeatable basis. It all still passes emissions just fine.

This is just one example of how they "de-tune" engines. This one was done to make the engine quieter. If you limit and hide where and how the engine can breath, it is much quieter. I for one, like to hear and let my engine take in all it can...

Sorry. Just another one of my long 2 cents...
Old 11-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Banned

Yup. When I put the CAI on my Mustang I had to removed the factory air intake tubing and there was a air silencer on the factory system where the air came in (in the top front of the passenger side fender). Also the factory had rippled tubing and the CAI had straight tubing. I removed the screen from the MAF. The K&N air filter was relocated to the bottom of the passenger side fender. It woke the engine up and made a cool air sucking noise.

Last edited by captain howdy; 11-29-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:44 AM

All the manufacturers do similar things. The general public wants a calm and quiet car with good gas mileage. Not an air sucking, loud exhausted, high HP screaming meanie. That era ended years ago when they stopped putting big blocks in regular passenger cars. Little do they know, loud does not always mean ineffiecient. Too bad for those of us that liked em. At least a lot of that stuff can be changed back with little and easy modifications like CAI and high flow exhaust. Just isn't as easy to tune the new cars as it wa with a Holley 4 barrel.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:19 PM

k what chips are you guys putting into your computer? im looking to defently add some stuff to get the power up!

Quick Reply: HHR Performance Module +25HP Kit