2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Jet Performance Module.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:13 PM

Jet Performance Module.

Has anyone tried this new Jet Performance Module.I received an email from HHR Boutique,they are now selling this unit for about 250.00.I`m wondering about codes and how the transmission reacts to this unit and how it works with my K&N Cold Air system.What about my warranty,can it be removed before visiting the dealer??They are stating about 10-12 hp with the Stage 1 and 10-16 hp with Stage 2.What do you guys think about this unit??
Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Check out this thread:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/jet-performance-hhr-modules-now-hhrboutique-11484/
Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM

While I feel that HHR Boutique may be some fine people with a nice product selection, until someone can come up with some conclusive evidence that this Jet "chip" actually works, I have to remain a sceptic.

Why? Because the Jet unit is only a "piggyback" chip unit that plugs onto one of the 3 connectors on the E67 ECM. People on other forums have been inquiring about this, including direct correspondence to Jet, with absolutely nothing specific yet.

The E67 ECM on the HHR LE5 has 485 tunable parameters. It is one of the most complex computers on the market today. At the beginning of this year I worked with the owners of HP Tuners beta testing and finally was able to tune the 2.4 (the first!). Data is directly modified in the tables stored on the ECM. HP Tuners has tremendous capabilities, as does Westers and Vector on this ECM. GM factory calibrations, by necessity, leave plenty of room for improvement and very good results can be had, if done by someone with the skills to modify a calibration properly and not blow your engine up.

To answer your specific questions:

Codes: If something is not right with the calibration, yes, DTC codes may well be generated.

Transmission: It has its own seperate computer, thus the Jet chip cannot modify any parameters there. The others mentioned earlier can, and with some nice results.

K&N intake: Since the design is similar, with the same air source as the factory, there should not be any negative effects, especially if the diameter of the intake tube in the area of the MAF is the same, which won't throw the MAF calibration tables off.

Warranty: Like anything else, GM would have to prove that the modification was a direct cause of any problem. On the "real" calibration tunes, they are not detectable by the dealer.

HP: Hey, just about every "performance" mod states claims that are questionable, if not completely false.

My advice is unless you know of something conclusive regarding the Jet chip, I would stick with the others above or a competent tuner (that likely uses them), some of which are vendors here.

Good luck!! A good tune does make a noticeable difference!!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 AM

better re-tuned your pcm ask Godzilla, "Bob" gets a noticable difference
Old 11-08-2007, 06:37 AM

When I first stared PCM tuning my truck, I started with a Jet PCM and a B&M Shiftmatic+ Electronic shift kit. I though wow, what a differance. Then I went to a Hypertech Handheld and then was like, wow, that Jet/B&M combo was junk. Then I went with a custom tune and it was like night and day.

Will it work, yep, but it only changes a handful of parameters. Mostly timing and air/fuel ratio. They even want you to drop a 160 (maybe a 180 stat) in it. That is actually a big mistate with modern computer controlled cars as they rely on heat (believe it or not). Old cars liked it cold, not new ones. The B&M (not sure if they have those yet) only increases the line pressure to give you a firmer shift. Cheap and does work. But at what long term cost and the fact that you are splicing into the wiring harness.

Handhelds do more. Brands are getting better and better. Much better than the two piggyback systems above IMO. But they are pricey (around $400) and I'm sure there will be one available for the HHR one day. But you can adjust for tire sizes, shift points and firmness. Most will do code reads also. SOme are actually very good.

Custom tune, best of all the above, and can be dyno tuned to your car for the best performance. Prices vary, but only a few available for the HHR from what I hear. When they first cam out, they were in the $300-$400 range. Then other companies started doing to and the got cheaper. But for some cars (like the HHR) they are not wide spread, so harder to find.

The piggy back system does work, but IMO they are too pricy for what they actually do. SOme people think they are better than sliced bread, but then again, some think electronic superchargers but the butter on that sliced bread.