2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

K&N air box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 PM

The vehicles computer system is constantly tuning the engine to account for variables in air and fuel. Unless you do something to radically change the system, the computer will tune for optimum fuel economy.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Have a question...I just purchased a like new used airraid kit for my 2.4 for a price I could not pass up, oil and all looks brand new $100. Now it come with instructions, it said to unhook negative cable but doesn't say why, do I really need to unhook?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Probably they are erring on the safe side because the MAF needs to be disconnected. I doubt it's necessary. After you put it in you may want to clear the ECU..... fuse is marked and it's in the underhood fuse box..... It's maybe number 41 but memory is a fuzzy thing.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:09 PM

I just ordered the tube, filter, and two screws from AirAid. No box or cradle around filter. Had to make my own support bracket. Posted photos in my gallery - if you are interested.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 AM

Thanks for that info Greybeard, I searched and searched for the anwser to that last nite and no matter how I typed it in, it never give me an anwser. Another thing..I was a little embarrassed about was the fact I couldn't find the battery under the hood. I did find the anwser to that and wasn't even looking.

Tigger...not too far from you, in Avon/Danville area. You say you made ur own box or just making a bracket to hold filter assembly and run open filter?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by TiggersHHR
I just ordered the tube, filter, and two screws from AirAid. No box or cradle around filter. Had to make my own support bracket. Posted photos in my gallery - if you are interested.
Looks good but you might want to think about shielding it from the engine as you're sucking a bunch of hot air like that which is quite counterproductive.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:30 PM

I have had the K&N box for over a year now, and I've had good results. One thing I did do was to insulate both the "wooly worm" AND the inside of the box. I bought some foam-backed foil plumbing insulation (about 1.5 " in width) from Lowes. It cost around $3 /roll. You can click on my gallery to see a good pic of the "wooly". I have a ScanGauge plugged into the OBDII, and I've noticed that there is only about a 4-8 degree difference max between the intake air temp and the outside air temp.The pics also are a testament to what an old guy can dream up in his garage on cold fall/winter weekends. (note the painted parts under the hood)I also installed a K&N "Typhoon" intake on my son's 08 Cobalt. It is a great deal noisier, but it being a 2.2L, it has more response than my 2.4L.
Attached Images      

Last edited by mrarff; 01-27-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Former Sponsor

FYI we just got 2 more in stock today!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by mrarff
I have had the K&N box for over a year now, and I've had good results. One thing I did do was to insulate both the "wooly worm" AND the inside of the box. I bought some foam-backed foil plumbing insulation (about 1.5 " in width) from Lowes. It cost around $3 /roll. You can click on my gallery to see a good pic of the "wooly". I have a ScanGauge plugged into the OBDII, and I've noticed that there is only about a 4-8 degree difference max between the intake air temp and the outside air temp.The pics also are a testament to what an old guy can dream up in his garage on cold fall/winter weekends. (note the painted parts under the hood)I also installed a K&N "Typhoon" intake on my son's 08 Cobalt. It is a great deal noisier, but it being a 2.2L, it has more response than my 2.4L.
I think painting the tube and box with some Dupli color ceramic engine enamel would pretty much eliminate any kind of heat transfer. The K&N is a well designed piece to begin with though , I wouldn't really expect any gains but it would look nice :thumbup
Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 PM

A couple more pics of my K&N set up.

Here are a couple more pics of the K&N box and insulation.
Attached Images