2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Lower Temp Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Question Lower Temp Thermostat

One of the mods I did on older model EFIs was to install a lower temperature thermostat to change the loop point of the ECU.. denser mixture, cooler running, a smidge of HP
I haven't seen this mod discussed or listed yet , so I am assuming the ECOTEC engine won't play with this mod
Old 06-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

I did that on my Mustang. I'm pretty sure it can be done on the Ecotec. I haven't looked around for lower temperature thermostats for 2.4 yet so I don't know if anyone makes them. It's not that high on my to do list yet.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:51 AM

I did that on my 94 Suburban. Usually it's done to keep the engine cooler to prevent detonation after other mods (my Suburban had a B&M supercharger). You have to make sure to select a thermostat temperature above point where the computer goes to closed loop operation. Otherwise it will run open-loop, which results in a very rich mixture with terrible gas mileage and black exhaust. On the Suburban, the stock thermostat was 195 degrees, I used a 180 degree thermostat. The open loop to closed loop point occured at 160 degrees. If the computer is reprogrammed for a much lower temp thermostat, then you can go lower than the closed/open shift point but that is much more involved than a simple thermostat change.

Steve
Old 06-14-2006, 03:02 PM

If you install a lower temp T-stat you will need to let the ECM know that . So you can turn the fans on early and take some fuel out .

Thanks
Matt
www.tunetimeperformance.com
Old 06-14-2006, 03:08 PM

SO Matt if I had one of your retuned ECMs would I need to put a lower T-Stat in ? would the retuning take some of the fuel out?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:49 AM

Our Tune is flashed the way you want it . We can tune for the lower t-stat . or we can just have the fans com on early and not change the t-stat . It's your choice . We will change things biased on what you want out of it .

Thanks
Matt
www.tunetimeperformance.com
Old 06-15-2006, 10:46 AM

I know that "power stats" are popular as a performance mod but there is a downside that I'm witness to very often. Lower operating temps bring lower oil temps as well. In most street driven vehicles this can cause the oil to become contaminated with moisture that doesn't get "burned off" from normal higher oil temps. In the past few months I have seen several vehicles with hydraulic lifter problems and other oil related problems that were directly related to low temperatures. In my humble opinion, the engineers who design these powertrains know what they are doing, for what ever small gain a person might see from lower temperatures a "payback" in the form of more frequent service would result......or possible mechanical problems. Ol' Smokey Yunick knew 'way back when that more consistant horsepower and efficiency is possible with a bit higher temperatures than most people were running at the time. Smokey wasn't dumb. I'll leave my factory thermostat in place, thank you.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:35 AM

I do agree with you to a degree. We will do what ever is asked of us as far as a tune , but on my personal HHR 2.4 I have just lowered the fan turn on temps to keep it more consistent. I will say that with a 180 t-stat you will gain some ponies with very little risk. Is it worth it ??? It's up to you . If every thing is cooler I.E. coolant/trans temp / oil, by as much as 10 degree's then you should see less ware any more then that will not benefit you .
Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 PM

What would the risks be of lowering the temp to 180?
Is it best donw electronically or with a thermostat?
Old 06-17-2006, 03:26 PM

You cant do it electronically. You can lower the fan turn on temps . if you change T-stat you have to lower fan temps and take some fuel out .

Quick Reply: Lower Temp Thermostat