2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

MagnaFlow Cat Back

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:31 PM

Not on yet, trying to decide if I also want to change out my CGS to a K&N.
But after the 1st it will go on.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:54 PM

what would be the reason to change it out???
Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Premiere07
what would be the reason to change it out???
K&N is a true cold-air intake, like the OEM. The CGS is a hot-air, short ram that hasn't been proven to do anything except look cool.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Curious about the sound. I wouldn't expect a performance increase unless you categorize sound under performance
Old 12-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
K&N is a true cold-air intake, like the OEM. The CGS is a hot-air, short ram that hasn't been proven to do anything except look cool.
You can't say without the shadow of a doubt the K&N would gain any more than the CGS, the stock system, or any other system avaliable for that matter, that would require an indepent side-by-side dyno test which NOONE has done.

You still gain some power with the CGS due to a less restrictive air path.
The temperature of the air has less of an inpact on performance than the number of restrictions in the path of the air. Yes the colder the air the better, but flow is better than temperature in the big picture, since the MAF will dump fuel in if it gets too cold thereby decreasing performance.
To make the CGS get colder air run the filter to the fender, all it takes is a silicone elbow and a small section of pipe, really not hard and only takes a few minutes, plus she wouldn't be spending $225 on another intake system if that was the reason for her switching.

I personally have the CGS intake it (in my experiance) does improve the performance of the vehicle a good bit. While using cruise control going up a hill I go up EVERY DAY the T.C. would lock up within seconds of going up the slope in stoc form stock, after the CGS it would go half way before locking up, after the Magnaflow cat-back the T.C. doesn't even kick in and it stays one consistant RPM all the way up the hill.

Im not trying to start a flame war, nor am I trying to "jack" this thread, just wanted to ask KAREN a question. And I will still wait for her to answer.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by PhoS
Curious about the sound. I wouldn't expect a performance increase unless you categorize sound under performance
I posted a video of my car, with the Magnaflow system installed, in the general forum if the exhaust is what you are looking for the sound of.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Premiere07
You can't say without the shadow of a doubt the K&N would gain any more than the CGS, the stock system, or any other system avaliable for that matter, that would require an indepent side-by-side dyno test which NOONE has done.

You still gain some power with the CGS due to a less restrictive air path.
The temperature of the air has less of an inpact on performance than the number of restrictions in the path of the air. Yes the colder the air the better, but flow is better than temperature in the big picture, since the MAF will dump fuel in if it gets too cold thereby decreasing performance.
To make the CGS get colder air run the filter to the fender, all it takes is a silicone elbow and a small section of pipe, really not hard and only takes a few minutes, plus she wouldn't be spending $225 on another intake system if that was the reason for her switching.

I personally have the CGS intake it (in my experiance) does improve the performance of the vehicle a good bit. While using cruise control going up a hill I go up EVERY DAY the T.C. would lock up within seconds of going up the slope in stoc form stock, after the CGS it would go half way before locking up, after the Magnaflow cat-back the T.C. doesn't even kick in and it stays one consistant RPM all the way up the hill.

Im not trying to start a flame war, nor am I trying to "jack" this thread, just wanted to ask KAREN a question. And I will still wait for her to answer.
Are you talking about downshifting or torque converter lockup?

The stock intake is not restrictive at all and probably flows better than the K&N and the CGS anyway.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:40 PM

How can you possibly say that the stock intake flows better, it has 4-5 chambers in a huge box that the air has to navigate around in order to even reach the throttle body.

Tourque converter locking up and downshifting goes hand in hand with an automatic.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

If you guys wish to continue to argue the merits of the intake systems, you might want to look up the dyno charts that JoeR posted on this forum. It kind of confirms one poster's assertions and corrects the other poster's comments.