2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Power increase

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 AM

Power increase

I want to know who has really felt a increase from the air flow kit they have on their HHR ? Air Raid,K&N ? Has anybody put an exhaust system that really added horsepower ? I was thinking about a Flowmaster system when I get my HHR. Pro's or cons ? I'd like to hear what everbody thinks. I don't want a very deep tone because I've got a panel on order but something real sweet. Has anyone put their engine on a Dyno yet ?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 AM

Nice Lee Oskar!!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 AM

The cgs made a big differnece and a cheap and excellent exhasut is th gmpp for the cobalt it will work and the sound is awesome.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 AM

check with air raid or k&n for intakes because you wont need any modifications compared to the cgs (need to buy smaller filter so it wont hit/rub the bottle passenger side of hood). I dont remember anyone really installing an exhaust system on their hhr. Most members here replaced their muffler with an aftermarket to add a deeper sound. Might be one of two members who added headers?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM

The CGS made a noticable difference. BUT, just changing to a K&N filter on our other HHR got close to the same results. The airaid and K&N intakes should work a bit better than the CGS since they both draw air from the wheel well. I went with the CGS for looks too. I couldn't see removing one big hunk of plastic and replacing it with another not quite as big hunk of plastic!

I have a custom exhaust system that made a BIG difference. Runs much stonger. I had the IMCO muffler first, minor change, mostly sound.

I did a custom cat-back and that's when I got the big improvement.

Last edited by GDZHHR; 08-15-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 PM

as said above, try to stay away from the open filter products and stick with true cold air stuff...

when you couple that with a decent 2.5" exaust with a not too restrictive muffler you'll feel a difference...

then if you want to go farther get some new 4-2-1 headers and a high-flow cat

then beyond that you can get your intake manifold ported and polished or just have a log-style fabbed up with a larger tb to boot... and better spark plugs with a lower gap and better wires will clean everything up!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by monza
as said above, try to stay away from the open filter products and stick with true cold air stuff...

when you couple that with a decent 2.5" exaust with a not too restrictive muffler you'll feel a difference...

then if you want to go farther get some new 4-2-1 headers and a high-flow cat

then beyond that you can get your intake manifold ported and polished or just have a log-style fabbed up with a larger tb to boot... and better spark plugs with a lower gap and better wires will clean everything up!!!

With all that ,, don't forget ECM reflash..
Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by monza

Intake mani is plastic and cannot be "polished" like a stainless manifold. The stock unit on the 2.4's has large short runners so no changes are needed with the intake manifold. Maybe a bigger thorttle body but that is stretching it.

2.4's are coil-on-plug design and have no plug wires.

Like HVRod said. After an intake, header and exhaust upgrade get a ECM tune from one of our vendors and you'll really see some power differences.

Last edited by en0oNmAI; 08-15-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:39 PM

My K&N Intake made a difference, but when I added the Manaflow after, it was even more. I see about 2 to 3 MPG more City Driving. I have not tested on the highway yet. The sounds is pretty nice, and the idol is noticeable at a stop light.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 PM

The factory intake "hat", as ugly as some may think (including me), has two things going for it:
1. It is NOT restrictive. MAP pressures will flat line through a power pull, indicating absolutely no restriction.
2. It is a "real cold air intake", drawing air from outside the hot engine compartment.

Just a FYI for the CGS fans (disclaimer: I think it's the best looking intake available), I hope you bought it for looks, not performance. Here's the FIRST REAL DYNO of the CGS compared to the stock intake...... The stock is the RED line; CGS is the BLUE. For your viewing pleasure:

Quick Reply: Power increase