Power increase

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Banned

It's about time that came out!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
It's about time that came out!
Nothing really new, cap't.... Just real science vs. marketing BS.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

But at least now the dyno is out there. Not just a pretty chart for those of us not intelligent enough to read a graph.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Thank you JoeR. I have felt the factory setup was pretty optimal already and would be hard to improve on.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:48 PM

where did you find this dyno? I don't believe it! Those who have the cgs claim a power increase, not just noise. Socal did the dyno aswell and found an increase in hp with the cgs and decrease with the airraid.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Money in the Bank
where did you find this dyno? I don't believe it! Those who have the cgs claim a power increase, not just noise. Socal did the dyno aswell and found an increase in hp with the cgs and decrease with the airraid.
It was done on his ride a while ago. SoCal never actually provided any graphs to prove the pretty little presentation charts he made. SoCal claimed the CGS beat out the factory and Airaid intakes but never proved it. What was the only intake that he sold?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by captain howdy
It was done on his ride a while ago. SoCal never actually provided any graphs to prove the pretty little presentation charts he made. SoCal claimed the CGS beat out the factory and Airaid intakes but never proved it. What was the only intake that he sold?
dang...folks got suckered by someone they trusted. BTW why did the dude go out of business?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Thank you JoeR. I have felt the factory setup was pretty optimal already and would be hard to improve on.
Yep, the GM engineers did a good job! However, I still think it is UGLY!! I don't like the "look" of either the Airade or the K&N and believe that neither would offer a real gain.

The interesting thing was that even the stock system intake air temps were running about 10 - 12* above ambient when drawing from the fenderwell, as would the Airade or K&N, when measured with a digital thermocouple just above the throttle body. Heck, that's another 1% HP!!

Oh, BTW, with the factory intake hose positioned in the same exact void where the CGS intake filter sits, the intake temps rise to the same level. I've got dyno runs showing that even the factory intake under those conditions will exibit just about the identical power loss.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quest51210
dang...folks got suckered by someone they trusted. BTW why did the dude go out of business?
Probably because he ran it out of his garage and charged an arm and a leg compared to most other places on the net. All it took was a little initiative and you could find most everything he sold for a lot cheaper elsewhere. I guess he had so many customers because his site was convenient, he was trustworthy when it came to doing business (Not so much with the technical advise), and his shipping was quick as hell.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Not to mention most of us "real" motorheads were wondering WTF?! at his exhaust discussion on why the IMCO was so great.... backpressure? and when fighting his exploits were dragged into petty arguements that ended with a locked thread or him just refusing to post anymore. I seem to remember this with the CGS dyno BS BTW!.. LOL

I wish I had someone with a stock intake and money for a dyno... I want to see what kind of gains my intake setup is providing if any. The filter is relocated to the Driver's fender well to get a cold air setup and uses 2.5" mandrel bends. Should be as good as stock if not a little better. Maybe then I can get some made and sell them as a vendor with a real "dyno" proven gain... LOL!

Quick Reply: Power increase