2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Power increase

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:25 PM

I have found this thread to be one of the most open, honest and informative threads I have seen here. Aside from the hard feelings thrown around I think it was a cleansing of misinformation and we can all go forward with a better understanding of the difference between noise and power. I am so glad I still have my cash in my pocket.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
What I have a problem with are vendors who tell people that it's going to give you a substantial increase in power and the people who choose to perpetuate those myths when someone has taken their own time and money to independently test the product, and found that the claims are hype.

people will see this as personal bashing since mike's word was considered the "final say" by a lot of members here. I hope these same members realize that he was a vendor, and vendors are in it for the money first and making friends later. If mike really see his customers as friends he would still be here posting even after he closed shop for good. I guess as soon as the cash flow dried up, he booked it....IMO of course!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:29 PM

Boy,Did I open a can of worms. Anybody know of superchargers that are for the HHR ?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 PM

i dont ever remember anyone talking about SC's for the HHR.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by HHR Man
Boy,Did I open a can of worms. Anybody know of superchargers that are for the HHR ?
Originally Posted by HHR PNOY
i dont ever remember anyone talking about SC's for the HHR.
Can't say that I remember any talk of one either.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by HHR Man
There's some working to adapt the Eaton from the 2.0 LSJ engine to the 2.4 LE5. Haven't seen any results yet.

The most promising (read $$$$) option I've seen is the work that Hahn Racecraft had done on the 2.4 with a turbo setup. Initially it was on a Solstice, but now releasing one for the Cobalts. It should only be a matter of piping routing changes for the HHR. Have at it!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by monza
close...

during normal operations the pcm takes in all data from the sensors and tries to keep the mixture at the standard 14.7...
then at wot (usually 95% and above) the computer goes into a closed loop mode when it usually goes into a predetermined fuel "dump." it usually runs fairly rich here to keep things safe but not 13:1 - that's too lean. usually anywhere from 10-11.5:1...

my .02
You guys are close here. The E67 ECM in the 2.4 is one of GM's newest and used in quite a few of the newer engines. It is a very powerful and complex processor. But, monza, closed loop in only when the 02 feedback is tweaking the fuel trims to maintain stoic.

Cold startup and PE are open loop. In the 2.4 there are a few parameters that control the enrichment. A factory tune will command 13.0 AFR up to the mid-RPM range then go to 12.5 AFR. This is from the actual PE EQ calibration tables. The problem is (and the biggest gains from a tune!) is that there is about a 5.0 sec. delay on PE, likely for meeting EPA or CAFE numbers. After that delay the computer says "I think he's serious!" and enters PE. On top of that, on a good full power run, two more parameters kick in.... Piston Protection, which will phase in a richer mixture, as will COT (catalytic over temp), resulting in the actual AFR heading towards 10:1 at the top end, which is NOT good for power. Ideal PE AFRs for a NA engine should be in the 12.5 to 13.0 range.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 PM

The 5 sec delay needs to be gone. Now you have me wanting tune software and a cable. But I have the 2.2 and I think all the software is for 2.4's. That's probably for the best in my case. I need to leave it alone. If my wife were to catch me with a cable and laptop hooked up to our new HHR she would neuter me with a rusty butter knife on the spot.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
The 5 sec delay needs to be gone. Now you have me wanting tune software and a cable. But I have the 2.2 and I think all the software is for 2.4's. That's probably for the best in my case. I need to leave it alone. If my wife were to catch me with a cable and laptop hooked up to our new HHR she would neuter me with a rusty butter knife on the spot.
Not anything good yet for the 2.2 folks that I'm aware of (I may be wrong on this... don't follow that issue!) Hopefully someone will have a solution for the E16a soon.

When they do, just tell the wife you're programming more capacity for her favorite music!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:46 PM

the only solution for L61 E16a vehicles right now are the piggy back setups. Best one out there right now is the AEM FI/C which allows using larger injectors than stock, timing changes, fuel map changes, and so on. Since it IS a piggy back it allows you to retain the stock PCm and BCM to allow your power items (windows, mirrors, etc) to still work. That can be discussed in the 2.2 performance section though...

Monza.. I sure hope your AFR gauge is a Wideband and not a o2 tapping AFR gauge. Those things are good for nothing. A decent wideband would be a AEM UEGO or Innovative LC-1. If you are using a narrowband please throw it away!

Quick Reply: Power increase