Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

20 inch rims on my hhr

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:35 AM

20 inch rims on my hhr

I have a question, I want to put 20 inch Zoe Wheel Nino rims on my HHR. They are 20 x 8.5 and the tires are 225/30/20 Falken tires. The site is from http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....ShowLarge=True

I want to know will 20 inch wheels fit without rubbing and will the 20 inch wheels make the HHR drive like a jack hammer.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:55 AM

I don't think the 20" part will be as much of an issue as the 8.5" part.

Tires that are too wide tend to rub the suspension.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:07 AM

So if I get 20 inch the 8.5" part should be like 7.5" instead so they don't rub. I want 18s or 20s just want to get something i can put on without having to modified the suspension. I am thinking about lowering my HHR, depends how the rims and tires look on car and what size I am going with.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:19 AM

You'll be fine with 20's if not lowering. Some have had to roll the rear fender to prevent rubbing. BTW, just as important is the offset, try to stay as close to 42 as you can.

I've got 18x7.5's and am lowered with Eibach Pro's.

No rubbing, looks great, rides great!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:32 AM

Thank u for your advice, it is highly appreciated
Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 AM

The tire size is a good match for diameter.

The big question is: What is the offset?? A lot of these sites don't list the specific offset and I didn't see it on the manufacture's site either. Remember, it is the offset that shifts the wheel/tire combo inward or outward from the stock +42 mm offset.

The 8.5" width should not be a problem if the offset is OK. I'm running 18 x 8 with a 40 offset and there is plenty of clearance on the inside, more than enough for just another 1/8" at the bead on the inside.

There is a good likelyhood that you would need to get the rear fender lip rolled, but that is no big deal, to prevent rubbing there.

Again, find out the offset and we can be of more help.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR
The tire size is a good match for diameter.

The big question is: What is the offset?? A lot of these sites don't list the specific offset and I didn't see it on the manufacture's site either. Remember, it is the offset that shifts the wheel/tire combo inward or outward from the stock +42 mm offset.

The 8.5" width should not be a problem if the offset is OK. I'm running 18 x 8 with a 40 offset and there is plenty of clearance on the inside, more than enough for just another 1/8" at the bead on the inside.

There is a good likelyhood that you would need to get the rear fender lip rolled, but that is no big deal, to prevent rubbing there.

Again, find out the offset and we can be of more help.
Do you think he could run the 20x8.5's without issues?

I don't know for sure, that's why I'm asking.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Do you think he could run the 20x8.5's without issues?

Good question..........anyone have experience?
Old 09-02-2007, 04:51 PM

have 20" By 8.5" wheels with a 34mm offset and 235/35/20 they WILL Rub in the rear. I had my fenders rolled and they did not rub after. Then I lowered my car in the rear 1.6" and when I hit a nice bump the tires hit plastic liner, only happened once with people and luggage in the rear(Airport drop off). My wheel shop also stated that the wheel and tire combo would not rub.

What size rims are you getting and what is the offset of the wheels. On some 20" wheels that are 7.5" wide you might not have to roll your fenders. I have 20 x 8.5" wheels with a 34mm offset and 235/35/20 they WILL Rub in the rear. I had my fenders rolled at my rim shop they used a bat, towel, and four guys to sit in my backseat and hatch area. My fenders were rolled and it dented my fender I had to get paint less dent repair done on my car to repair this. Then I lowered my car in the rear 1.6" and when I hit a nice bump with the car loaded with adults in the rear it hits right up next to the door. I am running some after market shock and have not had this problem since. I will be getting new tires soon and I will get the fenders trimmed near the door so I will not have any more problems.

check out the links below

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/20-inch-wheels-7250/

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/trimming-rolling-fenders-9574/
Old 09-02-2007, 05:37 PM

hnewagn's offset is 34 mm, which puts the whole wheel and tire combo 8 mm to the outside. That will increase the likelyhood of rubbing.

The OP has never stated (and really should find out) what the offset for his rim is. Otherwise, we're just guessing here.

Rim width is just not an issue, unless the offset is off quite a bit from stock to the inside (meaning more that 42 mm). Try to visualize this... The offset is the distance from the wheel (& tire) centerline to the mounting surface. The rim width only effects the width of the tire at the rim flange. If it's wider, that's the only dimension that changes. If you were to compare one size tire on a 7.5" rim and on a 8.5" rim, the tread center and the shoulder would be in the exact same place. Only the offset shifts the tread to the inside or outside. And the typical problem is the outer shoulder of the rear tire hitting the fender lip. The offset should be at or less than the stock 42 mm to minimize this. Remember, too, that most of these tires have a wider tread width than the stock (mine are about 1" wider) and that will move the shoulder out, too.

They make special tools that mount to the hub that will roll the fender without messing things up. Jeez.... a bunch of guys in the back seat and a baseball bat? Real pros there.