Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

3 tone paint scheme for HHR

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:55 PM

3 tone paint scheme for HHR

I had a mental blueprint of how my HHR should look before I purchased it. I think the idea caused me to buy an HHR SS. Yes, I feel HHR's are very cool vehicles anyway and entertained the idea of owning one, but I was pushed over the edge by visualizing the completed picture in my head. The Harley Edition HHR Panel SS was the design (theme) I wanted end up with. I researched many possibilities to create such a theme. In fact I have purchased many Harley things that never made it to the final design. Everything was ready to go the day I took delivery.
There is one last thing from my initial blueprint that hasn't been acted upon. I think it is because it is so permanent that I have been dragging my feet because I must be a little scared.
So what I need here is some opinionated comment on what you think I should do. I need you to really think about it before you answer. Consider how my HHR looks now, how it will look after and down the road say 5 years from now.
Here's what I am considering--Three toning the paint. I saw a Cuda drawing the Chip Foose did and it was awesome. I want to do something similiar to the HHR with a shade of silver metallic for the top and a matt finish black on the hood with the silver bordering the black on the hood.This sort of carries along with the color scheme of the factory interior.[IMG][/IMG]

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Be careful with anything that even hints of Harley Davidson, they are very anal about that sort of thing. A few years back I knew of a guy who built his own version of a Harley Edition F-250 4X4. Nice looking truck, black and orange, Harley emblems, lifted with 35-17 tires. The emblems were bought at the Ford dealership and then when the dealer saw the truck at a show, they told him the emblems had to go since it wasn't a real Harley Edition. I don't know the final outcome because I got laid off (I worked down the street from the truck owners body shop).
Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Cool

Hey...Bob....Take good angle shot.(showing roof and sides)...Then photo shop it...Ohno (Rick)
Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 PM

I have angle shots but I don't have the ability to change the photo.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Here is a link to an open source photo editing program

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

GIMP is the Graphic Image Manipulation Program, it comes with almost every version of Linux, and has been ported to windows. The learning curve is a bit steep, but it is a very powerful program. My sig pic was done with GIMP in about 5 minutes.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Mongo- No offense, but you made your sig look like that on purpose ?

Harley-

That's a tough call. Although the 'cuda looks killer, hard to imagine how it would be cut on yer Panel. Little too much of one color can make quite a diff (I know You already know this, tho)..
I'm just sayin.. I like the silver idea...

Where's our resident artists for different renderings ?

Last edited by sleeper; 03-16-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 AM

Hows this?
Sorry, I aint no Chip Foose
I think it might be a bit too much silver on a panel.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Played with it a little here is my idea of the same 3 tone idea, not sure if it would look good on a panel tho think it would be too much silver.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Mongo- No offense, but you made your sig look like that on purpose ?

Yup, it's one part of an animated gif I made, the panel zipping back and forth in the foreground and background.....I distorted the pic to increase the illusion of speed.

Was going to be for sig pics, but the file size was huge.... so I just used one panel.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Hows this?
Sorry, I aint no Chip Foose
I think it might be a bit too much silver on a panel.
I can't photoshop worth a damn, but what about continuing the black up the A-pillar (splitting it 50/50 with silver on the diagonal axis) and keeping the roof black? That'd cut down on the silver a bit. You could even do a black pinstripe to frame the silver and separate it from the red, and reconnect it to the roof at the back. Just mentally envisioning this, it might look like crap drawn out.

Quick Reply: 3 tone paint scheme for HHR