Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Any Engine Compartment Detailing Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:56 PM

Red face Any Engine Compartment Detailing Tips?

Ugh just looked at my engine compartment, and figured it ain't going to win me any shows. It's not too bad, just a thin coat of dust, so steam cleaning probably isn't necessary.

Any recommendations for any particular product + elbow grease to get the compartment cleaned and detailed?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

It starts with keeping it clean from the beginning. After that it's just a matter of wiping, cleaning (with whatever YOU deem is good) and polishing (ditto).

I believe sometime back the members here unofficially gave the , grade A, underhood detail credit to RUDEINC . I believe I voted that direction also!!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Funny you would ask this. The wife and I were discussing the same thing this past weekend. I've seen people take a car wash wand to it, but I'm afraid to even attempt that for fear that I might end up getting something wet that really shouldn't be.
Does anyone know if I could start at the car wash just to get the majority of it cleaned and if so, is there anything that might need to be covered with a plastic baggie or something else to keep the water out?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM

I am big on keeping the engine clean. I use some quick detailer and a microfiber towel on a cool engine compartment. I start from one side and work my way around. Spray the cloth and then wipe it down, flip your towel to a dry spot and get off any residue until it is clean. I do eveything you can see front to back and including the underside of the hood and firewall. If you keep up on it it never gets too bad. Also when I am done washing it I pop the hood and dry any water spots and dust all of the black plastic covers.

One note: I grade my microfiber towels too. New ones are for the body and as they get older and dirty they become towels for the wheels and engine. I never use a towel for the wheels on the body and paint. Plus I never use a terry towel on the body or wheels as they leave tiny scratches in paint and chrome. Terry towels are for tire dressing and wheel well's only.

This is just my compulsion talking here.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:38 PM

I typically wash my engine bay once every two months. I usually just pop open the hood at a coin operated, wand car wash and spray it down for a couple of seconds with the pressure washer. I've never had any problems with the HHR not liking that.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Hey D man. It was great hangin out with you at Original Mikes. When I had my Mercury Marauder, I learned a trick. I take some simple green and douse the engine with it ( cool motor ) then a low pressure shower attachment on the hose and rinse it off. Then dry. Makes it real purty

Don
Old 02-22-2008, 06:00 PM

If the engine gets oil, crud and dirt, I have used GUNK on the greasy mess then a high pressure hose (car wash) to hose the crud out. If you don't let it get too dirty, it is not too hard to keep it up.

I'd cover up any visable electronic components befor spraying.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
Hey D man. It was great hangin out with you at Original Mikes. When I had my Mercury Marauder, I learned a trick. I take some simple green and douse the engine with it ( cool motor ) then a low pressure shower attachment on the hose and rinse it off. Then dry. Makes it real purty

Don
+1

High pressure water isn't recommended for any kind of cleaning by GM, and is NOT friendly at all to electrical connectors and insulators. Some Simple Green and a thorough rinse with low pressure water is perfect. If you need to scrub something, do it by hand.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:02 PM

Armor All and a diaper. Keeping up with it and only needing to wipe / dust is key. Large risks in water wash -- count yourself lucky if no problems so far.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 PM

I have always had a lot of luck with a bit of Simple Green and/or spray degreaser on a microfiber cloth. Try to keep up with it frequently so it does not get ahead of you.

Talk about keeping an engine area clean...

You ought to try keeping a white engine and engine compartment clean.

Now THIS takes a bit of extra work but all worth it in the end...

Name:  PowdercoatedValveCover.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  UndertheHoodside.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  UndertheHoodfront.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  27.7 KB

Quick Reply: Any Engine Compartment Detailing Tips?