Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Bi-Lateral Uniformity Of Hood-Fender Spacing

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 AM

Bi-Lateral Uniformity Of Hood-Fender Spacing

My HHR is just out of the body shop for repairs of minor dents to the hood and right fender caused by an old tv antenna blowing off the roof in a windstorm. The dents were very small but the windshield and hood were scratched extensively. The body shop did a pretty good job except for leaving a lot of clearcoat overspray on the bumper and left fender (which I was able to remove with a light compound, thank goodness).

One thing I notice is that the space between the hood and the right fender is slightly, but perceptibly, greater than the space between the hood and the left fender. Perhaps 1/16 of an inch or so. The light gauge of the hood metal makes it kind of "springy" and I can push down of the hood along the right side and improve the spacing, but it comes right back up (duh).

It does not look as though the body shop removed the hood to repair the dent - all hardware fasteners are painted and show no signs of tool marks from sockets or wrenches - and they did not paint the underside of the hood.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has noticed a difference in the hood-fender spacing on either side of their unmolested HHR's. It seems possible that a hinge or latch adjustment might be all that is necessary to correct this relatively minor cosmetic condition.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but my hood latch in the front was not adjusted properly from the factory and allowed the hood a little up and down movement when latched. After I adjusted to remove the movement it closed the gap approx. 3/16" on each side.

I know different situation, but something you might try.

TomR
Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 AM

TOM I had the same issue with my HHR when I bought it. The latch semmd okay but the lil stopper were down too far and the hood would move about 1/4 in or so when you lifted it. It would rattle on rough roads so I adjusted it and now its all good. Did you move the actual latching mechanism so the hood would sit at a lower point?
Again, probably not your situation Korn but you may want to adjust the stopper incase one is higher than the other and holding the hood higher on one side.
Good luck and do let us know what solves it.
Also some pics may help.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 AM

Yes, I adjusted the latch assembly down, don't recall seeing any stops. I'll have to go back and take a look. If there are stops, that may be kornellred's problem.

TomR
Old 02-10-2008, 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=kornellred;236736]goodness).
One thing I notice is that the space between the hood and the right fender is slightly, but perceptibly, greater than the space between the hood and the left fender. Perhaps 1/16 of an inch or so. The light gauge of the hood metal makes it kind of "springy" and I can push down of the hood along the right side and improve the spacing, but it comes right back up (duh).
QUOTE]

This is a famous problem in body shops and any body man will back this up! Almost every car made has a descrepency on a gapline somewhere, be it door, trunk, hood but no one really seems to notice. ONLY after the car has been in for repair does the owner then "inspect" the work and notice this problem. Take it back, even though it was probably from the factory, they'll fix it.