Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Bike Rack/ Trailer Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Bike Rack/ Trailer Hitch?

Hi all, this is my first post...I have an 09 LS, and haul my bike around all the time. Its killing my interior, so I figured I'd go for the trailer hitch/ bike rack. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to stay as low profile as possible, Ive already put goldlines on and dont want to bottom out on any speed bumps. Anyway your recommendations would be appreciated!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM

I have the Curt Hitch from etrailer and the Swagman XTC 2 Cross Country rack.

The curt hitch has a few slight differences over the other racks which all look the same, and that is why i picked that one. Had it installed myself with my dad in under 30 min.

The rack is fantastic and will be hauling bikes tomorrow, I can take some photos.

It is fairly inexpensive at under $200. It just works so well. It is a tray stye rack that holds the bike's wheels. I have an XL men's schwiin hybrid and my wife has a comfort with no top bar. I have an adapter for hers but don't like to use it, and with this rack I don't need it at all.

After initial putting together and adjustments (that don't take long anyways) it is ready to go. I take it pretty much all the way apart and store in the back, and I can have it on and back together in just a few minutes. The bar that comes out of the hitch angles upward a bit, which on some other similar styles it goes straight out. Very helpful if you have dropped it. It holds the bikes really well and never have had a problem with it yet. The clamps that comes down on the bike also ratchet down instead of some other ones where it just puts tension on the center bar.

I recommend the anti wobble locking hitch pin which is like $25 extra. It comes with an anti wobble regular pin, and it is also really good. Once you tighten it down it doesn't wobble at all.

Cons - since the hhr is lower one of the wheels will be kind of close to the exhaust, after an hour or so drive, this tire was pretty hot, so I am going to try and build some kind of deflector and attach it to the rack. Going to see my brother in law this weekend that welds, so maybe he can make me something. It will be on the car for 4 hours tomorrow, so we shall see how it does.

Any other questions just let me know. I researched a lot of racks before choosing this one, and I am really happy with it. Best rack for the cost that I can find.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Bike rack, trailer hitch.

I've got a Reese hitch and Thule double rack on my "08, plus Gold Line springs on the rear. My best advice is to take it slow going out of driveways and backing up,that hitch is most defintely the lowest point on the vehicle. I have however seen one hitch that was fabbed to come out higher through the bumper cover, looked real good with a hitch cover, but cost a pretty penny I bet. Enjoy your car and your bike.