Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Billet grill

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:28 AM

try placing some kind of screen or mesh behind it so its not so see through, might look better.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:37 AM

The ones I've seen aren't really that "see-through". I think it's misleading because when you take a pic, the flash shines light through it which normally wouldn't be there.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:55 PM

good point, your so smart GDZ, I'm glad we have ya around
Old 09-02-2007, 07:27 AM

I did put some peices of old innertube around the ends of the lower grill. I was able to get them flush so that you don't know that they are there unless you know that they are there. I will still be keeping an eye on that.

For the upper grill, I was considering getting some trim strip to put around the edge of the opening to sorta fill in the gaps on the ends. If that doesn't work, I suspect that I will be going back to stock and you will be seeing this set back on Ebay.

Thing is, I really do like the look of the matching billet upper and lower grills. It sets the front end off really well.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSchicago
By the way, if anyone bids on the upper and lower billet grilles on Ebay with the $55 shipping, only bid $20 you will get a second chance offer from the seller, making your total shipped, $75.00 for both. Lots of people are paying more! LS
well if you see my screen name QUEST51210 on one of these, please do not outbid me. i really want this. i like this setup no matter what anyone else says
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 AM

My eBay billet grilles (with the 55 dollar shipping) arrived yesterday.

I am impressed with the fact that these items are of substantial construction - I was expecting them to be on the flimsy side. They are not flimsy at all. The tips of the horizontal bars do require some straightening, however. The grilles are shipped in bubble wrap in a box which is far larger than it has to be, and they slide around in transit and suffer some bending of the tips.

What I do not like is that fact that the upper grille is produced on a jig that does not maintain uniform spacing of the horizontal bars on either end, leaving the finished product at the mercy of whoever is tack-welding or soldering the bars to the vertical supports. The error on my upper grille is such that I will not utilize it in it's present condition.

The lower grille is fine, and is already installed. In my opinion, it does not clash with the stock HHR grille, and the condenser now has some added protection from road hazards.

Caveat Emptor. The 55 dollar shipping price, while far in excess of what it costs to ship this item (even from CA to NJ as in my case) is a trick that eBay vendors use to keep their seller's fees a bit lower, allowing them to make more of a profit on relatively inexpensive items by selling the items a lot cheaper. eBay officially discourages this practice for obvious reasons.

I knew what to expect when I bid on these grilles. Since the high-quality aftermarket HHR grilles are priced in the hundreds of dollars range, my 26 dollar winning bid (plus the 55 dollar shipping) was not money simply wasted. I have the lower grille protection and the upper grille can possibly be set aright by a friend of mine who wields a mean welding machine. (can aluminum be welded??)

WR
Old 09-08-2007, 10:03 AM

aluminum can be welded, just have to have the right wire in a mig, or tig weld it. I used to know a guy who could weld two soda cans together top to bottom and they still wouldn't leak.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by quest51210
well if you see my screen name QUEST51210 on one of these, please do not outbid me. i really want this. i like this setup no matter what anyone else says
Did you even read my post??? I didn't have to outbid anyone. I bid $20 and was outbid. Bid $20 on another and was outbid. I was sent two second chance offers for my $20 bid. I bought one set. What I'm trying to tell you guys..... ONLY BID $20....... YOU WILL GET A SECOND CHANCE OFFER.... and own them for $20..... Why bid more??? I installed mine today. LS
Old 09-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSchicago
Did you even read my post??? I didn't have to outbid anyone. I bid $20 and was outbid. Bid $20 on another and was outbid. I was sent two second chance offers for my $20 bid. I bought one set. What I'm trying to tell you guys..... ONLY BID $20....... YOU WILL GET A SECOND CHANCE OFFER.... and own them for $20..... Why bid more??? I installed mine today. LS
you must have not read mine correctly either...i did not want anyone on here to accidentaly outbid me. i actually won mine for $11.99+shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220145406590
Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 AM

Well, don't I feel like a chump now I actually paid a full $100.00 for these things.

Please post some pictures of yours when you get them on the car. I am curious to see how well they fit on other peoples cars. I suspect that these would look better on a darker colored (black?) car.

Quick Reply: Billet grill