Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

It was bound to happen

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:45 PM

It was bound to happen

It was bound to happen sooner or later I was behind a dump truck about 4 or 5 cars back and rocks bounced out of the back and yup u guessed it bammmm right into my windshield. I saw it bounce out I tried to miss it but nope. Wasnt any thing huge just a small rock that put a crack in about the size if a quarter. I got the guy pulled over and got all insurance info. Just gotta wait for his insurance to call me back. I hate when small things like this get me fired up. I kept my cool and just said ok lets get it fixed. It doesnt pay to get all mad at the person and cooler heads win i hope lol grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-03-2006, 02:55 PM

Sorry to hear that DD...I carry a $500 comp deductible, but wrote my agent yesterday for alternative quotes to lower it. Once I get home, I can compare it to see how much more it will cost.

Let us know how things go...and you're right...no sense in getting twisted about it because it's not going to change what's happened. Hope everything is fixed quickly.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Deceased

Sorry to hear Dark
hope it isnt expensive for ya
Old 08-03-2006, 03:44 PM

Something just came to me when I read your post again. Since it's a dump truck, this sort of thing can be rather frequent. I used to underwrite Commercial Automobile Insurance and when we had a fleet of dump trucks, they usually carried a $250 Property Damage deductible...meaning they stepped in and paid the first $250 before they presented it to their insurance. Depending on the size of the company, it's possible that they may just write you a check for the damage, in lieu of turning it over to their insurance. You might want to get an estimate from a glass company or 2, so you are prepared when they call in case they need them. That way you're one step ahead of the game.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Something just came to me when I read your post again. Since it's a dump truck, this sort of thing can be rather frequent. I used to underwrite Commercial Automobile Insurance and when we had a fleet of dump trucks, they usually carried a $250 Property Damage deductible...meaning they stepped in and paid the first $250 before they presented it to their insurance. Depending on the size of the company, it's possible that they may just write you a check for the damage, in lieu of turning it over to their insurance. You might want to get an estimate from a glass company or 2, so you are prepared when they call in case they need them. That way you're one step ahead of the game.
It is also possible that they will rule it a "Road Hazard" and you get nothing. Unless you can absolutely prove that it fell off the truck and was not thrown up by the wheels, you may not collect. The cost of insurance is getting higher and higher for trucking companies and the deductibles are also increasing so the $250 is quite low. We carry a $100,000 deductible for liability.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:57 AM

check with your insurance company... you may have windshield replacement with no deductable cost. windshield damage is a safety issue with most insurance companies, even for rock chips. I had a windshield replaced last year, due to a rock chip that started to spread, and it did not cost me anything...

good luck...
Old 08-04-2006, 11:15 AM

My wife just got a chip in my windshield, no spider just a "sweet" bullseye...replacement cost $551.00, bad news, found that my insurance won't give consideration over deducatble evn though it is comp...with a 500.00 deductable I will pay this one out of my pocket...Oh well that's the chance that you take when you select the higher deductable.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:26 AM

Everybody should get full glass coverage.

I have it on both of my vehicles and the extra cost (minimal) is well worth it. My insurance company will even replace pitted glass @ no charge. Your insurance company should cover pitted (sand blasted) glass even without cracks too. Pitted glass is just as bad as a crack, try driving into the sun with sand blasted glass you just can't see. that's a major saftey issue.

Living in the upper midwest we get sand blasted all winter and I get new glass every three years.

Add it, you'll not regret it.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:12 PM

Sorry
to hear the bad news Dark. Glad you where able to pull the guy
over and get some ins info. I got one but the rock came from the other side
of divided road. Two chips just right of my line of sight. I was totally bummed. My Ins covers full cost if they can repair the existing windshield. They put some kind of epoxy in the chip's. Can't see the chips from the outside but they are visible from inside still. I noticed them for the
first couple of weeks but not anymore.