Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Bumper trim with front license plate, and an emblem question??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 AM

Bumper trim with front license plate, and an emblem question??

If one was to consider using bumper trim [ (not the fender spears or hatch stripes- just the plain bumper trim purchased by the foot) along with a front license plate, you would put spacers behind the license plate holder instead of cutting into the $xx per foot chrome trim, right? Put the trim on first and have a good look before deciding whether or not to drill those holes for the plate?

I'm thinking about bumper trim on a dark silver- anyone know of any photos of this done anywhere? I know a lot of folks consider it tacky, but I really feel the need to punch up the chrome- I wish like heck I could find real chrome bumpers, but trim will have to do.

I also bought some reproduction Chevrolet script emblems for the front/side of the hood, and they are coming with pins on the back. I should cut the pins off and use 3M tape, right? I have a dremel- I can just cut the pins off with a cutting whatsit? How likely am I to break an emblem (I got spares)? And just exacto out the emblem once it is on the tape?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:08 AM

I would use M3 tape on all of it.
I used it on all my emblems and they are not going anywhere.

Thats all you have to do. Cut off the pegs and sand them smooth. Then us the tape and cut the edges off. then put them on the HHR.
Take pics when done
Old 08-15-2006, 11:34 AM

You can buy 3/4" chrome trim at Pep Boys for about $17 for a 20 foot package. That's what I bought to put above my running boards. You could do it either way you explained, I would think. I think it would look nice on the dark silver...but I'm a chrome freak...and am considering doing that to mine...but haven't decided yet.

On the chrome emblems...several people told me you can snap those posts off with a pair of channel locks or pliers without breaking the emblem. Then dremmel off the edges and set it on the adhesive and cut around it with an exacto knife. I've got one coming from CJ...but he's going to break them off for me...so all I have to do is the tape.

Hope something I said is helpful. Look forward to seeing pics when you are done.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:45 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Cearbhaill
Put the trim on first and have a good look before deciding whether or not to drill those holes for the plate?
Only 1 question.............

WHY?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:37 PM

Why trim?
Because I wanna!

If it sucks, it'll come off, but I really want to have a look with it on. To my eye it just needs more chrome.

If "why" means something else, "why what?"
Old 08-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

I think he means drill holes for the plate not add the chrome.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Yep- I kind of hate doing that to a new car, but I love running front plates. And I found a dandy retro Chevy one to use
Old 08-15-2006, 08:11 PM

Here's a tip; I removed my entire stock plate mount because I did not like the size of it.
It was still too wide even with a nice plate frame on there were gaps on both sides.

To fix the problem, I drilled out the 4 rivets that hold the stock plate holder on - and trashed it. Marked & drilled 2 holes and installed plate bolt inserts directly into the bumper, then "floated" my plate and frame off the bumper with angled rubber spacers. Like so:

This gives a more custom look and would allow you room to run some trim behind the plate.

Hope it helps,
Old 08-15-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cearbhaill
If one was to consider using bumper trim [ (not the fender spears or hatch stripes- just the plain bumper trim purchased by the foot) along with a front license plate, you would put spacers behind the license plate holder instead of cutting into the $xx per foot chrome trim, right? Put the trim on first and have a good look before deciding whether or not to drill those holes for the plate?

I'm thinking about bumper trim on a dark silver- anyone know of any photos of this done anywhere? I know a lot of folks consider it tacky, but I really feel the need to punch up the chrome- I wish like heck I could find real chrome bumpers, but trim will have to do.

I also bought some reproduction Chevrolet script emblems for the front/side of the hood, and they are coming with pins on the back. I should cut the pins off and use 3M tape, right? I have a dremel- I can just cut the pins off with a cutting whatsit? How likely am I to break an emblem (I got spares)? And just exacto out the emblem once it is on the tape?

Take your time with the script emblems and all will be fine. I bought the same ones, hack sawed off the pins, ground the rest off, painted the ground areas, and used Scotch double faced tape on it. I was told the Scotch was made by 3M and I could not find 3M anywhere, so I used the scotch. No problem so far with it and it seems to really be the 3M stuff.
It did take me around an hour to cut out each emblem/tape combo. It was not easy. The results speak for them selves!

Don't forget to take pictures!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Thanks for the clarification Capt.

Quick Reply: Bumper trim with front license plate, and an emblem question??