Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Bumper trim with front license plate, and an emblem question??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Take your time with the script emblems and all will be fine. I bought the same ones, hack sawed off the pins, ground the rest off, painted the ground areas, and used Scotch double faced tape on it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "painted the ground areas"?
Do you mean I have to paint inside the little e's and o's, or something else?
Sorry to be such a dweeb, but I have no idea about any of this stuff.

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Here's a tip; I removed my entire stock plate mount because I did not like the size of it.
It was still too wide even with a nice plate frame on there were gaps on both sides.

To fix the problem, I drilled out the 4 rivets that hold the stock plate holder on - and trashed it. Marked & drilled 2 holes and installed plate bolt inserts directly into the bumper, then "floated" my plate and frame off the bumper with angled rubber spacers. Like so:
Again, I'm confused. What is the "entire stock plate mount"? Is it that black thing that was in the trunk that I never used? Or is there something down there behind the bumper that I need to be concerned with?

On the SoCal website, on the HHR plates gallery page there is this photo-

I kind of like this mount- down in the black part. Do you just drill holes for the plate holder? Or is it more complicated?

Here's one with bumper trim and the black thingamajigger which I do not plan to use- I have a new plate frame I want to use.

What to do, what to do...
Old 08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Cearbhaill
I'm not sure what you mean by "painted the ground areas"?
Do you mean I have to paint inside the little e's and o's, or something else?
He means the back side of the emblem. After grinding the pins down/off, paint the back/grounded side of the emblem.

Again, I'm confused. What is the "entire stock plate mount"? Is it that black thing that was in the trunk that I never used? Or is there something down there behind the bumper that I need to be concerned with?
As far as the front plate mount goes, try lining up the plate with the marked holes in the bumper and you'll get the idea. The dimples in the bumper are for the stock plate mount. If you're going to use it then just line up the plate and new bracket where YOU think it would look the best.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
He means the back side of the emblem. After grinding the pins down/off, paint the back/grounded side of the emblem.
Again.... sorry to be such a clueless noob, but paint it with what, and why?