Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Center Caps

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:26 AM

Hi. Kmart hub caps cost me 30 - 35 (maybe it was 30 plus tax) for the set of 4, already can't remember. Originally i was going to start with factory hub caps (had an ad for damaged ones - I only had factory nice chrome rims originally so I didnt know what the plastic hub caps even looked like). After buying a set of used ones I quickly realized there was not enough center stock to just cut the outside away. So I ended up already having the outer plastic lug nuts from them. Kmart hubcaps were solid plastic in the center with the molded fake lug nuts. I had to dril and dremel them away leaving a little ledge to catch the factory ones lug nut covers.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:23 AM

So I would have to buy factory lug nut covers

Any idea what those cost at a dealership?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 AM

Yes you would have to buy the plastic lug nut covers and that is one item I did not have to price out since I bought the factory plastic hubcaps with them from ebay. However, the use of those plastic lug nut covers have been around forever as my 1990 pick-up had them. (What you would have to look into is this: our HHR takes 1.5 X 12mm lug nuts and say my old chevy pick-up took 1.5 X 14mm -- what I am not sure of is if the outer threads of these two sizes of lug nuts are the same and hense used the same plastic lug nut covers). If this is so, then there should be lots of these at junkyards. Besides lots of recent chevrolets use the double thread lug nut with hubcaps incorporating the plastic lug nut covers (which uses our metal lug nut size) so there should be plenty out there. You could even put an ad out for damage covers in the Cobalt and HHR websites- negotiate a price and then just buy the nuts to save on shipping if that is what you decide. Here is a great link to lug nut sizes and perhaps would be a help in judging whether the outer lug nut covers fit (if they are not the same outer size as questioned above) when finding them at a junk yard. They may even be available at aftermarket auto parts stores.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/pdf/07AppGuideV2.pdf

With regard to the double threaded lug nuts I found the cheapest place to purchase mine was at auto zone (definitely not NAPA) as opposed to the dealer, so the bottom line is shop around. Hope this was not to confusing. John

Last edited by Fueluser; 11-20-2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: additional information