Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Center console

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM

Center console

has anyone added in an aftermarket center console/arm-rest type gadget?

I find that with the front cupholders located pretty much on the floor, that travelling with a 16 oz coffee cup with a light gray cloth interior is inviting a disaster.

I am trying to find one of those center console aftermarket jobbies that can sit perched ontop of the parking brake area between the front seats that has a cup holder provision.

something like this-so it's short enough to fit between/below the front seat armrests

I have one right now mounted in the center of the back seat with the seat belt holding it, but reaching back there while driving wont be easy.

something like the ones made by Wolf for minivans, or SUV's with bucket seats.

I would just modify it so that the parking brake was liftable...

just looking for ideas...so far, I've survived without spillage...but I fear the day....
Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM

well, I went with a different set up:

I had this dual cup-holder thingy with a small center space that slides down between a seat and a center console on most cars with bucket seats...however, our HHR's have a between seat console that sits much lower than many cars that have the center console level with the seat cushions.

so I tried this thing out. it works great...it slides down between the passenger seat, with the cup holder part hanging over the parking brake...in fact, when not engaged, the parking brake holds this device in place, and level with enough tension against the passenger seat that it doesnt move.

I spend most of the time alone in the car...should I have a passenger, or need to use the parking brake(rarily), it just lifts out.

Now I have a place I can reach easily to keep my ash tray(sorry, non-smokers) and my coffee cup without having to look down to "aim".

I was looking for something like this:

but the back part of our console sits up too high. I might buy a used console and modify it to use something like above...but until I do, I went with the one below.
$5.99 at most auto part stores, in case anyone is interested.

http://documents.clubexpress.com/clu...k%20holder.jpg
Old 01-27-2008, 06:11 PM

Still thinking what I can do about that. Not much space between the seats. and the way it is, the cup holders are about useless. E brake should of been left as a foot operated one, or as the older cars had, which was like pulling an umbrella out from the underside of the dash. May have to make something that connects between the two arm rests which would have a couple cup holders or in your case a spot for your ashes and your butts
Old 01-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Will this one work for you?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:58 PM

I agree...I thought about having a joint-unit that connected between both seats, acted as an arm rest(maybe even extending outward farther too) and had some cup holders.

One of these days I'll get to tinkering....and leave feedback should I discover something that will work.

The stock cupholders are, as you said...useless...
and the parking brake could have been a pedal, except there isnt a whole lot of room on the L/S of the footwell. The pull-handle under the dash might have been an option too, but...no sense crying over spilled milk...I'll just see what I can do with what my car came with.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MWG2
Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by MWG2
That is SO wrong...

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 01-28-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: rmoved pic from quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:59 PM

I see they make a armrest add on for the center console for the Cobalt... since the HHR uses a lot of the Cobalt parts, would this work??? You would have to remove the armrests currently on the seats (they are useless & annoying anyway... LOL!)
Let me know if anyone has tried this, or finds out anything new... I am considering this option, or retrofitting the Equinox console to fit over the back part of the HHR console...
Old 02-03-2008, 04:55 PM

I saw a used HHR console on ebay a couple weeks ago...I almost bought it to use to fabricate something...but I let it go...bummer.

I am removing my seats and carpet in the next couple weeks to install ebony in place of my gray....

when I have the seats out, and swapping carpet/covers, I'll have a broader understanding of how they attach, and what I can do to improve/replace them with something else.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 AM

Just made a cup holder from a block or 2x4 and Plumbers Strapping. After taking pictures I then painted it. It is hooked to the lower dash panel which is easy to unclip. Put your index finger behind the lower panel and thumb on the face of the upper panel and push it off. Played with the right position so my knee and leg doesn't hit it and turn sig stalk also has clearance. I can also remove it in less than 10 seconds. ( Unpainted pictures here.)

Quick Reply: Center console