Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Chrome Inside Door Trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 AM

Chrome Inside Door Trim

Courthousedeb & HHR Nut added some chrome trim on the inside ring area of their doors

Does anyone know if that trim is round or flat? To me it appears to be round. I was at Auto Zone last week and they had 20 feet of 1/8" trim but it was flat.

I pm'ed both deb and nut last Friday but haven't heard back from either so far and was wondering if any of you guys might know..

Thanks..
Rick
Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 AM

I bought the rounded type since that was all i could find. Flat may work better since it provides less of a surface area to be jostled against. The rise of the round sticks out a bit more and can be jiggled a bit easier.
CJ and some others had a lot of this type of chrome in their cars with varying success. It unsticks easily in hot weather from what I read. Another adhesive is added to make it stay on better.

I do not know what that adhesive is or i would tell you. I have had the chrome since last summer in its package and still plan on doing it, but need some time and adhesive.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Sorry...thought I had answered your PM...I know I started to anyway and must have gotten sidetracked.

The stuff I used on mine was the rounded stuff that you can buy in most auto parts stores. However, it is no longer on my car. Unless you use some sort of adhesive along with the tape, it keeps coming off. I bought several different kinds of glue but never ended up glueing it on. Went with a 55 piece wood dash kit and that added enough for me inside.

It's very hard to get stuff to stick to the orange peel texture around the doors. Hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the input. My concern with either flat or especially round was whether it would stick well enough to the door and the indention it would go in. Sounds like I might pass on this mod but it sure looks good in the pictures..
Now what can i do next then?

Rick
Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 PM

It just looks too good to not do it. But I have also NOT done it because of the non-stick surface problem.
I suppose I should try an epoxy or hot glue gun with some transparent glue and a lot of wiping up!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:28 PM

That's what it's gonna tame Harpozep...and I didn't want all the hassle. Instead of doing this mod...I save up and bought the dash kit from edashkit.com and it came with trim rings for the speakers, trim ring for the door cups and strips that go along the darker portion on the doors.

I'm much happier with how that turned out and am glad I did it. I also purchased 4 sets of the HHR badges that are on the rear hatch and pt them on the inside of the doors as well. Really added alot of zip to the interior of the HHR.

Doors
Name:  grilledashkit001.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  83.4 KB

You can see more of the dash kit HERE.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
That's what it's gonna tame Harpozep...and I didn't want all the hassle. Instead of doing this mod...I save up and bought the dash kit from edashkit.com and it came with trim rings for the speakers, trim ring for the door cups and strips that go along the darker portion on the doors.

I'm much happier with how that turned out and am glad I did it. I also purchased 4 sets of the HHR badges that are on the rear hatch and pt them on the inside of the doors as well. Really added alot of zip to the interior of the HHR.

Doors

You can see more of the dash kit HERE.
Wow, your wood looks good!
Well, er, that didn't come out quite right, but you catch my drift.
Nice job on the interior ! I actually like the wood kit. Funny, I have been having internal conversations about just such things.

When looking for a minivan we took a Toyota Sienna for a drive and the fake wood in it just reeked of bad placement It looked like it was there to placate us Gringos. The whole interior looked like it was designed by a monkey throwing poop!
So we bought a Honda Oddity which had NO factory wood....but sure enough in the Ody forums...........kits!

Our Buick looked mighty fine with its wood veneer, and so does your beautiful HHR

I may go the time and adhesive route since I have two rolls of the chrome just sitting in the garage. Like I mentioned, I just have to figure out the best bond to that orange peel surface.

Thanks for the link to your photos. You do a great job with your car.

I like the HHR badges on the door interior. Great idea and execution!

G'night.......zzzz time ten minutes 'till three and I just spilled water on my keyboard.
I'm lucccckkkkkkyy it is ssssstill wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwor...
Old 06-21-2007, 06:02 AM

WOW.......
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM

One idea for the chrome trim may be to use what VW uses to dress up a regular Passat to be the W8 Passat. The Passat has a chrome strip with little wedges on the back that stick into the groove between two panels. I'll find a link for it and post up an image if I can find a good one. Not sure if there is enough gap in the HHR door panel to replicate though...

Here is a link to a german site that sells it at least. Can probably be found elsewhere though....
http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/w8-chrom/index.htm
Old 06-21-2007, 12:25 PM

MrMikes.com makes a welt that can be used on the interior. I have ordered silver and will post pics when done.