Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

A Chroming we will go.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:06 PM

A Chroming we will go.........

Labor day and I had a migrain
Still we managed to have a decent day of relaxing and I actually got a little modding done later in the day.

Anyway, I got some really large black pinstriped chrome and went to town on the rear bumper. I'm thinking about doing it to the front, but cannot come up with an idea that is tasteful. Perhaps this treatment is best left to the rear.
I'm happy with the result

Before:

After:

Aren't wide angle lenses fun!

Then I got a weird idea: ( Not stuck, but it is interesting, no? )

Then a nod to CJ , who inspired me to look furthur and mod more!

OK, Simple chrome mods were my speed today, though after looking at the next picture, Perhaps putting on long strips of chrome near dark with a migrain was not the best idea!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:13 PM

Fun way to spend the day.. Did that a couple of weeks ago myself (check out the link) I thought about chroming the bumpers but I was afraid rock chips (and up here, road salt) would make a mess of things. Great Pics and nice HHR! Keep going!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the comments.
Inspector, you have been busy! You've had the car less than a month and have a LOT of modds done! Impressed I am!

You should post the pics of your wheel chrome. Folks have stated that chrome would look bad with mudflaps, but yours looks fine. What did you do to make it happen? Are they modded stock mudflaps? What style of chrome did you use?

CJ here in the forum has found a 3M adhesion enhancer wipe to use when putting on the 3M tape. It may be worth looking into for you folks in heavy winter zones.

I'd suggest getting the antisway bar, as it is the most important mod any HHR owner can do. It makes that much of a difference.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:33 PM

I like the strip across the hood
Old 09-04-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
I like the strip across the hood
Me too , the more I look at it. It may be a bit thick for actual use in that area, but it would make a decent style for a vinyl stripe.

I like its look on the rear bumper too. It is kind of wide and truck like, but the rear hatch area lends itself to that.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

Even though I'm not really a fan of chrome molding that looks cool. It looks right and not over done. The hood stripe is a nice touch.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:16 AM

Lookin good Harpo...keep up the great mods.

I've done the chrome over the windshield too...and it looks great and fits right in for a nice touch. And that piece above the running boards...it's not just the migraine and darkness...that piece is a PITA to get on straight.

HHR is coming right along...looking forward to seeing what you chrome next. Hope the wife and kids can run fast.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:48 AM

Thanks Deb. I'm liking the double chrome on the running board area, but as you say, it is a PITA to get the one near the door straight!
Oh well, I'll try again later. Funny, the other chrome on the outter edge just went on straight and that was that. No real problems with the new bumper chrome either. Did it all by sight.

Hey, did you check out Inspector's car page? He has chrome AND mudflaps together that do not look half bad. It can be done!

I'd just like to relay the crome look from stem to stern as it brings the car together in a pleasing manner. I'd not want to go over the top and make it look like Tron, but a few more suptle touches would be welcome.

Let's see what we all come up with next!

Tag, you're it...........
Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 AM

looks good

classic LOL