Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

costs to install triple lake pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:17 PM

Question costs to install triple lake pipes

I know Sindy made a deal with the devil and got someone to install hers for $40, but what have the rest of you paid?

Gonna be looking for a shop later this week and would like to have an iadea of what to expect. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Deceased

i did mine myself, used the chrome clamps,,, took me lil less than an hour

3.5 inch stove head bolts for by the side and short stove head bolts for under the body
Old 07-24-2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by cj krause
i did mine myself, used the chrome clamps,,, took me lil less than an hour

3.5 inch stove head bolts for by the side and short stove head bolts for under the body
Any chance of you reposting your pics of the install?

They're not in the old thread anymore, thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 AM

Got some prices for my 70" side pipes. Not going to post how much it will cost to get them working, but lets just say I'll be doing it my self. And yes I'll post pics.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BlackHHR
Got some prices for my 70" side pipes. Not going to post how much it will cost to get them working, but lets just say I'll be doing it my self. And yes I'll post pics.
Now that's what I want to see, functional!!!

In my opinion it looks weird seeing exhaust pipes out the side with a muffler sticking out the back.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 AM

right!!!!!! looks like chrome running boards. Not my thing if they don't work. Or atleast if your going to have them shorten your real exhaust to where the pipes come out so you get kinda the idea that they are coming out at the ends
Old 07-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Deceased

here are pics and how i did my pipe install myself

The car was dirty, sorry, drove in some sprinkler water this morning going to teach.

The pics are labeled and there is an angled wall on the inside where I drilled a small hole and then ran the stovehead bolt up all the way into 2 walls (outer and inner further up the inside) on the outside bolt. The inside bolt just needs a 1.25 to 1.5 in long bolt to go into the body. I just used a drill and drilled the bolts on through.

The placement pic on the front clamp is obvious to the lil rectangular hole on the side and the back one was done around 1 inch from the lil sidewall that goes across that channel under the car on the side.

both sides were the same and the placement worked on both sides. hope this helps

Once you have the washers and bolts and drill small tap holes on the angled wall the install is very very fast. You can loosen the bolts and roll the pipes a little, not a lot.

Front clamp and bolts and placement

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  47.2 KB
Name:  FrontPlacementOnSide.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  63.8 KB

Back

Name:  Back.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  62.8 KB
Name:  BackShowingDrilledToAngledSide.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  31.2 KB
Old 07-25-2006, 06:26 PM

Looks Like I'll have to get a nother new muffler to put in to the tunnle under the car. About 800 to get it all done here in Saskatoon. If I can't do it my self I'll take it in to get done. I'll most likely be selling my V-Force muffler that I have on there right now. I'll miss the rumble sound that it gives my HHR, but sidepipes are way cooler right.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Deceased

if you moved the cat higher up by the manifold then put the muffler right there and then put in a Y after and ran it to the pipes there is no way it should be that much. maybe 3 to 400 w labor but hard to believe it would be more than that

? is would it work that way?

i thought about doing that and then getting rid of the rear exhaust and muffler. i looked up in the area and there is enough room to move the cat up and put in the 924 and then split off that. IMCO might have a Turbo that has one inlet to duals in the same size as the 924 and then you wouldnt need a Y, just the pipes to the lakes. you would have to drop the lakes low enough to make sure there was no heat damage and we talked about putting in some shielding all the way under the running boards.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 PM

There is not enough roon to do that, and my muffler is the same size as a flowmaster super 40. I'll have to cut the pipe off right behind the resanator and weld a new tube muffler to it. Then but a Y-pipe behind that and get 2 bends to get the pipes all the way back to the front of the car and weld them on to the side pipes. They said that It would be better with the 60" pipes, but they can make it work and still have lots of ground clearnce and clearnce from the gas lines.

Quick Reply: costs to install triple lake pipes