Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Economy Lower Grill Protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:16 PM

Gutter mesh doesn't offer the strength to deflect large debris at highway speeds. At 70mph a 4-oz rock will probably toast it. Your best bet is to go with some expandable steel mesh that is very stiff - if you want protection instead of just looks.

To secure the bottom, pick up a couple of tie-wrap mounting bases:

These are adhesive backed. Just stick them to the underside of the lower cowl and zip-tie the bottom of the screen to them. Simple.

Hope it helps,
Old 06-27-2006, 12:31 AM

okay I had to do a "ME TOO!" post as well.

Here are a couple of pics of the grille insert I installed today. Will need some touch up paint to cover up the screws (I didnt care about punching holes on the car so I have two on bottom and three on top to hold the grille in place).

Old 06-27-2006, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by HHR PNOY
okay I had to do a "ME TOO!" post as well.

Here are a couple of pics of the grille insert I installed today. Will need some touch up paint to cover up the screws (I didnt care about punching holes on the car so I have two on bottom and three on top to hold the grille in place).
Your reading my mind... still trying to fab an upper to match a similar lower. Lookin' good!!! Got materials from the same supplier- pretty good quality.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM

Here's what I wanted to do before to make the grilles match. Getting the idea from the boards I was going to cut my original oem grille and make it into a 3 bar grille. I was then going to get the modified grille painted to match the body color and place the grille insert behind it for protection.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by HHR PNOY
Here's what I wanted to do before to make the grilles match. Getting the idea from the boards I was going to cut my original oem grille and make it into a 3 bar grille. I was then going to get the modified grille painted to match the body color and place the grille insert behind it for protection.
Suggestion for your Main Grill,
add mesh screen backing..
Old 06-27-2006, 10:21 AM

I still have a lot of leftover grille from my order hv so I might end up installing that as well.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:48 PM

I did mine this afternoon in between the rain storms here. I used some gutter guard and it is pretty stiff but I think I will get a couple of clips for the bottom. I will post pictures when the weather breaks (hopefully).
Old 06-28-2006, 07:55 AM

I went to Home Desparate last night and bought the same material Mike X bought, $7.49 for a 5 pack. It's a LOT tougher than it looks. It's not much lighter than the mesh in the grill of the fire engine I was assigned to. (I checked). I think it'll take a significant beating before it fails. If the rain holds off I'll install it today.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
There is so much pressure on the mesh, even a large rock would barely move it.
So anyone want to install one of those, and grab a handful of rocks to check that out? I would...... but my aim is so bad, I'd have to repaint the hood and replace the windshield before I ever got a significant test.

(Please... don't really try that. I really am just joking -- I wouldn't hit the windshield.. )
Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 AM

You can see how much tension we're talking about in one of the installation pics:

I don't think anything is getting through there...

Quick Reply: Economy Lower Grill Protection